An online Ford Focus Electric Forum discussion group

It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:31 am 

I just found out something interesting to anyone looking into towing with a Focus Electric, uhaul.com has a pull down option specifically for the Ford Focus Electric. The pull down brings up nine different trailers that are compatible with the FFE. So there may still be doubters on this forum that think the FFE can't tow but U-Haul definitely thinks it can.

2004 White GMC Envoy XL SLT 4WD

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:33 am 

Texas FFE wrote:
I just found out something interesting to anyone looking into towing with a Focus Electric, uhaul.com has a pull down option specifically for the Ford Focus Electric. The pull down brings up nine different trailers that are compatible with the FFE. So there may still be doubters on this forum that think the FFE can't tow but U-Haul definitely thinks it can.

If you go through with it you'll see that it says your car needs a custom hitch and they don't have it.

BTW if anyone is selling a used one in the LA area please PM me.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:05 pm 

I just installed a trailer hitch on my 2013 Focus Electric. It is a Curt model #11158. It is for the Focus SE. Required some cutting and grinding of welds from the support for the battery box. Really easy. Used a Milwaukee mini saw to cut thru the cross bracket and a grinder to cut the welds on the piece that covers the holes where the ICE muffler would hang from. Just removed enough weld and broke the piece free from the frame rail. Cleaned up the welds with a small air grinder, primed any bare metal and bolted the hitch on. Did have to drill one hole on each side and fish a bolt and reinforcement thru the frame rail. Since the battery frame rail was now unsupported I fashioned a 1/4" thick spacer to fit between the hitch bar and the rail end and secured it with a heavy duty cable tie. When I first cut the rail it actually went up about a 1/16" so it wasn't really being supported by the end that was welded to the vehicle frame rail. I'm real pleased with the outcome and installation time with all the cutting and grinding was about 1 1/2 hours. I don't plan on towing anything but a bicycle rack fits in nicely. Maybe a pusher trailer in the future? Would require some reinforcement I think like and extension from the receiver tube to the rear axle center part.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:05 am 

CWD wrote:
I just installed a trailer hitch on my 2013 Focus Electric. It is a Curt model #11158. It is for the Focus SE. Required some cutting and grinding of welds from the support for the battery box.

Why would you do that when the Torklift Central hitch receiver simply bolts on the FFE?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:21 pm 

Cost. Curt hitch cost $97. Tork was over $300

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:14 am 

Wow the price has gone up. I paid $250 shipped for mine back in 2014. The regular focus hitch receivers were in the $150 price range shipped. I figured $100 saved wasn't worth my time and effort hacking things up to make the cheaper hitch fit.

Did you take any pictures? It might help someone else contemplating doing the same. Plus I admit I am a little curious myself.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6