Looking to buy a used FFE

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Robert123 said:
For anyone interested....

https://bsa-electronics.myshopify.com/collections/charging-stations/products/16a-3-84kw-portable-charging-station-25-length-evse-d25-16a

$300 and they are selling at $35 off that price for the rest of this year. I carry one in the trunk along with my Ford 120v charger. Use it when necessary on a NEMA 14-50 outlet at work. This unit is also 120 & 240v compatible, but it's 16 amps versus the Ford 12 amp when you are limited to 120v (understand it can't always be used on many outlets as it may overtax the circuit). Doesn't replace my higher amp 240v home station either, but it's really nice to have options with you. Build yourself an array of adaptors for your expected list of needs and your're ready for lotsa situlations.

That looks like a pretty decent deal. I may have to pick one of those up. Thanks!

Omen87 - Hope by now you are home with your new car. And you are a super happy person.

This afternoon I removed the heinous HOV stickers. I now understand all the complaining about putting those on. Wow they are ugly.

So the trick is use a heat gun to warm up the decal. About like any other window sticker. Go carefully with the gun so you don't bubble the paint. I used a plastic scraper from a car trim removal kit. It is about an inch wide and angled. I'm guessing you could find a decent blunt edge plastic scraper of some kind at home.

You will leave behind ugly goo on the car - no way to pull the decal off clean. If you can avoid getting the VOID letters to stick to the car, that makes the job a lot easier.

I used automotive polish. I happened to have a container of Mercedes paint cleaner. I'm guessing just about any liquid polish, the type to remove scratches would work just fine. Use way more than you would use to polish your car, lots of liquid on the goo. Let it sit for a minute and then use the scraper to sort of roll the goo off. You'll need to do two or three applications to get rid of all the goo.

If you have any of the V O I or D letters still on the car, the polish won't penetrate that part. You have to scrape it pretty aggressively to get the letters off, then remove the goo behind it.

Then finish up by polishing the area and then applying wax. You won't be able to get rid of a ring around the edge of the decal. That's where polish and dirt sat forever, and it mostly mars the finish there.

I understand Goo Gone or Orange Oil work to remove the goo. I couldn't find any at home and just gave the polish a shot. I think that is a safer way to remove the goo. The polish is absolutely car paint compatible. Rubbing alcohol does not work.

Nothing special about this set - just to give you an idea of what the tools look like.
https://www.amazon.com/Prime-Autobots®-Panel-Removal-Installer/dp/B01DF35S50
The set I had laying around was more like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Auto-Removal-Strong-Grade-Nylon/dp/B014DT5L48

Yes! We got back late last night. My buddy's truck did a great job pulling her home. She's in the driveway charging right now. The dealership was nice enough to remove the HOV stickers for me. I can't see any marks from where they were. The car drives great and has a brand new set of tires on it. Unfortunately they are not LRR tires so we'll see how the range is. For whatever reason, the original Ford charger did not come with it. BUT! I got a brand new TurboCord 120/240v that the dealership bought for it! So all in all I'm pretty thrilled. The interior is immaculate. It has a couple scratches on the exterior, but they are very minor and don't bother me in the least.

j2cbGmA.jpg

Fantastic deal. You did great. The car looks fantastic.

Congratulations on the charger. That was a super nice bonus. And you are so lucky they pulled off those stickers.

Thanks! Quick question: my FFE appears to be running SYNC version 3.6.2. Is the FFE compatible with the new 3.10 update? The Ford Owner site says I'm up to date. Wasn't sure if my dealer would be able to install it. I need to run it past my dealer anyways to have them check for any outstanding recalls or FSAs that need to be taken care of.

Omen87 said:
The car drives great and has a brand new set of tires on it. Unfortunately they are not LRR tires so we'll see how the range is.

Those cars do drive great! Liking my 2016, and the Focus is very well appreciated in the enthusiast world for good reason. I refer people to all the Car and Driver magazine reviews if they need expert opinions/comparisons, as the Focus is ranked ahead of Nissan's Leaf for driving dynamics.

About the lack of LRR tires, I wouldn't be concerned about the small range hit at all. At most, you'll only lose 1 mile in total range (up to about 2% or so) compared to the good LRR Michelins they came with. That's only 1 mile in 75 miles range, so no biggie. Important to keep your tires at about 5 psi less than the max pressure as seen on the tire's sidewall if you want max range; otherwise 38 psi will do OK. Ice/snow driving probably works best at about 35 psi though for adequate traction.

Do be careful on cold days when using the heater where range drops to 50 miles though.

Omen87 said:
Thanks! Quick question: my FFE appears to be running SYNC version 3.6.2. Is the FFE compatible with the new 3.10 update? The Ford Owner site says I'm up to date. Wasn't sure if my dealer would be able to install it. I need to run it past my dealer anyways to have them check for any outstanding recalls or FSAs that need to be taken care of.
I believe SYNC version 3.8 is the latest.

Pearl said:
Omen87 said:
I believe SYNC version 3.8 is the latest.

I thought it was too until I read here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MyFord_Touch#Versions

But on the Ford Owner site says v3.6 was confirmed in October 2014. Can v3.8 and v3.10 only be installed by the dealer? Or are they not compatible with the FFE?

Yes, owner.ford.com may say that you are up to date, they are most certainly compatible with the FFE (as that's what I have on mine), I'm not sure if you NEED a dealer to install it. You could try it yourself first. Here is a link to the files that you put on a blank USB drive

http://fordcmaxenergiforum.com/topic/4168-sync-38-update/?p=39086

MFM said I was up to date, but I was running version 3.7

Had issues with system (can't remember which as I've had to many lol) and dealer installed v3.10 and it cleared up my problems.

Tire pressure - follow the pressures on the door sill, don't monkey with that at all. You will see a difference in range if the tires are at the wrong pressure. Tire pressure is far more important in this car than any you have ever driven. For the first month, check the tires regularly.

Yeah - not sure I would go to somebody's drop box account to download Sync firmware.

I'm totally out of practice with how to update sync. I know there are some goofy things you have to do. I used the version checker on a USB stick and Ford reports back that I'm up to date. No idea which version I'm running in the car. Can't figure out how to find version number on the screen.

The car goes to the dealer this evening. I'll have them check it for me.

It's actually MY dropbox, I uploaded it, so I could help other owners update their own cars, when many dealers show little interest or passion to get things done right and timely.
For people who don't want to go through the headache of the dealer appointment, wait times, runaround, etc, for literally a 20 minute update, feel free to use it. It's quite simple and automated.
If you are not technically minded, and are more comfortable having the dealer perform this update, that's fine too.

Pearl said:
It's actually MY dropbox, I uploaded it, so I could help other owners update their own cars, when many dealers show little interest or passion to get things done right and timely.
For people who don't want to go through the headache of the dealer appointment, wait times, runaround, etc, for literally a 20 minute update, feel free to use it. It's quite simple and automated.
If you are not technically minded, and are more comfortable having the dealer perform this update, that's fine too.

I appreciate the files, Pearl. I'll try that update tonight when I get home. I just updated the SYNC system on my wife's '11 Escape last week and it is SOOOO much better.

EVA, I'm going to see if one of the shops here in town has a nitrogen fill system to keep my tire pressures nice and level.

electrons said:
About the lack of LRR tires, I wouldn't be concerned about the small range hit at all. At most, you'll only lose 1 mile in total range (up to about 2% or so) compared to the good LRR Michelins they came with. That's only 1 mile in 75 miles range, so no biggie. Important to keep your tires at about 5 psi less than the max pressure as seen on the tire's sidewall if you want max range; otherwise 38 psi will do OK. Ice/snow driving probably works best at about 35 psi though for adequate traction.

Do be careful on cold days when using the heater where range drops to 50 miles though.
I replaced my stock tires on 9/9 with some non-LRR tires, Vogue Signature V, and have noticed a 9% loss in range. Temperatures are about the same and so was tire pressure. My Wh/mi average was about 264, now it's 289. I just bought some Continental PureContacts and will mount them soon. My recommendation: Don't buy non-LRR tires no matter how cheap they are.

Yeah, if I would have had the option I wouldn't have bought these tires. They were on when I picked it up. They are a set of Kuhmo Ecsta PA31. I might stop by a local tire store that I used to work at and see if I could talk the boss man into buying them from me and then buying a new LRR set. We shall see.

I feel terrible for my car. It's been dragged away from the lovely climate of southern California and is currently sitting in my driveway while it is 18 F outside. It's plugged in and the pump is whirring away trying desperately to keep the battery warm.

Omen87 said:
I feel terrible for my car. It's been dragged away from the lovely climate of southern California and is currently sitting in my driveway while it is 18 F outside. It's plugged in and the pump is whirring away trying desperately to keep the battery warm.
Yeah they do make fun noises. You'll get used to them.

Back