Stop safely now warning.

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afarhat6

Hello all. I have a 2013 FFE with 64,000 miles (yes that's correct). I LOVE the vehicle and have had very little issues. Only recently have I starting having the stop safely now warning. Well this last time the warning came on my car wouldn't go more than 200 feet without cutting out on me. So I had to towed to the dealer and I called Ford customer service to issue a complaint. The next day the dealer called and says the TCM (transmission control module) went bad and the new part is $5000 and $1000 for labor! Seeing as the FFE has 100,000 mile warranty it was covered and would take several days to order the part and install. I get another call from the dealer a day later and they state that Ford engineers recommended replacing the wiring harness as well ($1200 for part and $800 labor, still covered under warranty). I also was told that the TCM also included replacing the whole electric motor!!!
Almost 2 weeks go by and I get another call from the dealer. Hoping they would say my car was finished, they confessed that they cannot get the car's electronics to communicate with the new parts. They stated that the engineers at Ford are "trying to come up with a solution to the problem". It has been nearly 3 weeks and I still have no timetable for getting the car fixed. Has ANYONE had a similar problem??

Did they tell you what codes it presented originally? The string of faults in the TCM and the replacement of the harness makes it sound like they were diagnosing faults from the TCM high voltage interlock. This could have been a circuit fault between the PCM and the TCM. There is a Molex harness between the two. Could also explain the inability to "communicate" with the new module. Unfortunately, the Ford dealers have little to no training on these vehicles, and only follow what is outlined in the service manual. As you can imagine, this turns into part swaps pretty quickly. Hope it gets resolved quickly.

I did not get the codes from the dealer, I have not received any paperwork on the vehicle yet because it was towed in and I wasn't with the car. It's Ford engineers that are working on the fix now, not the dealership. The dealership told me basically they have no idea what's wrong with my car.

I wonder about your car's status.

On 10-26-15 I got into my Focus and got the dreaded SSN notification. Car was towed to the dealer. They had it for over four weeks. In the interim, they were told by Ford engineering to replace the wiring harness. They did, but that didn't fix the problem. I called customer service. I was given a case number and told that I'd be getting a call from the regional rep the following day. She called and told me the dealer told her that the car would be repaired and ready "next Thursday." I asked her how they knew that, inasmuch as I'd been checking in every few days to determine status of the diagnosis and repair. She said, "I'm simply telling you what the dealer told me."

Great. That was in week three.

In my next conversation with Ford service, I learned the dealership was told to replace the new wiring harness. So, Ford Engineering was thinking maybe the replacement wiring harness was defective?? I suppose, but I wasn't hopeful. In the 5th week of their having the car I get a call indicating the car was ready for pickup. I asked the service manager what was different on the second, wiring harness installation. He shook his head and said, "I have no idea."

Took the car home on Thanksgiving week. All seemed good once again. Put about 100 miles on it since getting it back.

Yesterday I got in and got the same SSN as before.

I love the car, bu I'm very disappointed having to contend with this. I'm hoping it won't be in the shop for another month.

Jeff

Afarhat6.... I had the exact same issue SSN, towed to dealer. Car returned next day. Dealer said he updated the programing and the car was all good to go. Got less then a mile away and again I get the SSN notice. This time it's the TCM. Week for Ford to approve the Warranty work, week to order the part, week to install, and low and behold the new part will not talk to the rest of the vehicle. I was told that Ford Engineers had to write a new program for the part to talk to the rest of the car. All in all it was little more then four weeks.

I got ford to pay my lease payment for the month that I was without my vehicle. 2013 FFE, with 21,400 miles.

My biggest problem was the dealership that had my vehicle (TRACY FORD) was lousy at communication and would not return my calls and in fact would not return calls from Ford Customer Care manager.

BTW, just turned in my lease and purchased a 2016 FFE from Big Valley Ford in Stockton.

Back