How to tell the charge rate when using a public EVSE?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triangles

Like the subject says, how do tell what rate the car is charging at? Is there a screen somewhere that says what rate kW or A the car is charging at? I know the MFM app gives an estimated time to full charge but it would be nice to know what rate it's actually charging at.

Unfortunately, there is nothing native to show you these values. You're going to need a can bus device to get these values.

Aren't you able to tell by end time on the dash of the car? you can calculate: assumed kwh charge / hours

damania said:
Aren't you able to tell by end time on the dash of the car? you can calculate: assumed kwh charge / hours
I'm lazy and for the amount I paid for this rolling smartphone it should calculate/display that for me :)
sefs said:
Unfortunately, there is nothing native to show you these values. You're going to need a can bus device to get these values.
Thanks, I figured as much. I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss it on some screen in the HMI.

If you use a ChargePoint station you can tell via the ChargePoint app. Many of the ChargePoint stations that say 6.6 kW maximum show 7.0-7.1 kW as the rate that they actually charge the FFE. Some stations say 6.6 kW max but never charge faster than about 5.5 kW. If you aren't using a networked station that can tell you then you would need a way to interface with the car. FORScan recently released an Android version of their software which works with the FFE. They also have a version for Windows computers and for iOS devices.

hybridbear said:
If you use a ChargePoint station you can tell via the ChargePoint app. Many of the ChargePoint stations that say 6.6 kW maximum show 7.0-7.1 kW as the rate that they actually charge the FFE. Some stations say 6.6 kW max but never charge faster than about 5.5 kW.
Also keep in mind that some dual-port ChargePoint stations will "power split" when two cars are connected and charging. Meaning, when just one car is charging, it will receive all of the station's available power, but when two cars are charging, the power will be split between the cars (proportionally to each car's requested power level, I believe).

In other words, with a station configured to power split, when two cars with equivalent power requirements are charging at the same, each will receive only half the normal power (and so will charge at half the normal rate, and thus take twice as long).

So, if possible, always go for single-port ChargePoint stations when possible, or if only dual-port stations are available, then try to use one that no other car is also using, or one where the other car has already finished charging.

WattsUp said:
So, if possible, always go for single-port ChargePoint stations when possible, or if only dual-port stations are available, then try to use one that no other car is also using, or one where the other car has already finished charging.

Finished charging does not matter - if a second car is plugged in but not charging you will still only receive half of the possible output.

twscrap said:
WattsUp said:
Finished charging does not matter - if a second car is plugged in but not charging you will still only receive half of the possible output.
Thanks. Well, then you can always helpfully unplug them. :)

Back