Anyone else find the steering to be too light?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael

My previous car was a 2012 Focus, and it had really good steering.

My impression of the steering in my 2013 FFE is:

1. Excessive torque steer (veers right under heavy acceleration) and

2. Too light in general; a little bit "darty" on the freeway.

Dartiness is often related to insufficient toe-in on the wheel alignment. Greater toe-in makes the car more stable but possibly increases rolling resistance. Anyone else have this impression? Anyone know about the alignment specs of the electric vs ICE versions? Could Ford have specified less toe-in to increase range at the cost of steering feel?

I can't compare to another Focus since the FFE is the first one I've driven. I do notice the torque steer, but only when accelerating heavily and usually when I'm already turning slightly. Other than that, the Focus seems very stable to me, and I would actually describe it as a "tight" feeling car.

We have both a 2012 ICE Focus and a 2013 FFE. I really don't notice any difference in the steering between the two--under some conditions I also notice a little torque steer in the ICE Focus.

I drive both 2012 ICE and EV. Steering on EV is a little tight or stiff not really a problem. ICE has better steering.

jmueller065 said:
I also notice a little torque steer in the ICE Focus.
That "torque steer" comes about as a result of having too much torque. Even though crippled a bit on off-the-line acceleration (software), the massive torque on the FFE is hard to control.

One more - I have a 2012 Focus ICE and a 2014 FFE. Honestly, I think the FFE handles a little better than the ICE. They're both darn good.

The ICE has the summer 40 profile tires, and 55 winter tires. The FFE has 50 profile tires. All that to say, I've driven the car with three differnent types of tires. Pretty darn similar handling.

Michael, I did notice when the FFE was new before the brakes were bedded in properly, the car pulled pretty hard one direction when I applied the brakes. After about 100 miles, the car now stops straight.

There is a similar discussion going on in another thread – Steering Wheel Stiff.

Empowah posted the following comment there:

“I've got a gas Focus and would describe the power steering in a similar way. I suspect it's the electric power steering (EPS) calibration, rather than an actual problem with the vehicle. The resistance just off-center gives a semblance of "on-center feel" but sometimes it makes positioning the car in the lane difficult. Occasionally I end up overcorrecting and darting left and right.

It's best to try ignoring it altogether and to look further down the road when driving... then you stop making these small corrections to stay in the lane.

The technology in question is called Drift-Pull Compensation. It's supposed to help with driving, but instead it makes steering feel unnatural.”

In the 3 months I have had my FFE I have felt the same way at highway speeds. The car seems to float or dart in the lane, requiring me to make constant small corrections and making it difficult to stay centered in the lane. I don’t always notice this, and it only happens at freeway speeds. This may be the caused by a combination of the grooves cut in the pavement and the tires on the car, but I have not experienced this to the same extent in any other car I have had. I do wish that steering had a little more feel, but that is the price you pay for completely electric power assist.

Oilman

I agree that the acceleration/steering feels "light" and requires extra attention. I would describe it as a general loss of traction.

1) Could the weight of the battery in the back cause more traction loss?

2) Would putting on after market tires that are not "low rolling resistence" fix this feel?

I notice the problem a LOT more in the rain and am seriously considering changing the tires as the wet season approaches in Portland. Any recommendations?

Any way to turn off "drift pull compensation" ?

Back