jmueller065
Posts: 2387
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:36 am
Location: Southeastern MI
Contact: Website

Re: EVSE Recall mail

Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:32 pm

I could check what the one on my Bolt looks like but its parked outside (plugged in) and on its way to -6F out so...not now ;)
2018 Cajun Red Chevy Bolt
2016 Magnetic C-Max Energi (lease returned)
2014 Sunset Escape
2014 Thor Axis (V-10)
2013 Focus Electric (lease returned Jan 2016 for the C-Max above)
https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/

121gigawatts
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:37 pm

Re: EVSE Recall mail

Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:55 pm

Yep, its the same EVSE that comes with 2nd gen Volts (made by Clipper Creek). Should just need an adapter to plug into 220V outlet and it should charge at 3.3kw or 3.6kw.. cant remember. I remember reading this thread about the subject when I owned a Volt. Owners have been using this for a few years without issues. I dont think I'll use it at home, but it'll be great on the road.

https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.ph ... on-Capable

jmueller065
Posts: 2387
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:36 am
Location: Southeastern MI
Contact: Website

Re: EVSE Recall mail

Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:07 pm

121gigawatts wrote:Yep, its the same EVSE that comes with 2nd gen Volts (made by Clipper Creek). Should just need an adapter to plug into 220V outlet and it should charge at 3.3kw or 3.6kw.. cant remember. I remember reading this thread about the subject when I owned a Volt. Owners have been using this for a few years without issues. I dont think I'll use it at home, but it'll be great on the road.

https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.ph ... on-Capable
Wow 109 pages on that post! sheesh

Just adds to my collection of EVSE's ;) (Bosch, Clipper Creek, JuiceBox, GM)
2018 Cajun Red Chevy Bolt
2016 Magnetic C-Max Energi (lease returned)
2014 Sunset Escape
2014 Thor Axis (V-10)
2013 Focus Electric (lease returned Jan 2016 for the C-Max above)
https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/

121gigawatts
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:37 pm

Re: EVSE Recall mail

Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:12 pm

jmueller065 wrote:
121gigawatts wrote:Yep, its the same EVSE that comes with 2nd gen Volts (made by Clipper Creek). Should just need an adapter to plug into 220V outlet and it should charge at 3.3kw or 3.6kw.. cant remember. I remember reading this thread about the subject when I owned a Volt. Owners have been using this for a few years without issues. I dont think I'll use it at home, but it'll be great on the road.

https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.ph ... on-Capable
Wow 109 pages on that post! sheesh

Just adds to my collection of EVSE's ;) (Bosch, Clipper Creek, JuiceBox, GM)
From what I remember, you just need to make (or buy) a Nema 5-15 (household 110v outlet) to 220v outlet of your choice. If you search ebay Im pretty sure someone from the EV world sells NEMA 5-15 to NEMA 6-50 adapters, and the like. I should have one floating around my basement from my Volt.. Its nice because you can buy 4-5 different outlet adapters and keep them in the trunk for emergencies. Sometimes camp sites, golf courses, grocery stores, ect, have 220V outlets but not charging stations.

When I had a Volt I wasn't too concerned, but I may pick up a few now.

jmueller065
Posts: 2387
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:36 am
Location: Southeastern MI
Contact: Website

Re: EVSE Recall mail

Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:17 pm

121gigawatts wrote:From what I remember, you just need to make (or buy) a Nema 5-15 (household 110v outlet) to 220v outlet of your choice. If you search ebay Im pretty sure someone from the EV world sells NEMA 5-15 to NEMA 6-50 adapters, and the like. I should have one floating around my basement from my Volt.. Its nice because you can buy 4-5 different outlet adapters and keep them in the trunk for emergencies. Sometimes camp sites, golf courses, grocery stores, ect, have 220V outlets but not charging stations.

When I had a Volt I wasn't too concerned, but I may pick up a few now.
Actually, that is what my Clipper Creek EVSE is for: I keep it in the "trunk" of the Bolt with some adapters. Used most frequently is the 14-50 one for RV parks (since my car is our toad--first the C-Max, now the Bolt).

Image
2018 Cajun Red Chevy Bolt
2016 Magnetic C-Max Energi (lease returned)
2014 Sunset Escape
2014 Thor Axis (V-10)
2013 Focus Electric (lease returned Jan 2016 for the C-Max above)
https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/

TrojanEV
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:49 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: EVSE Recall mail

Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:32 am

So my dealer is claiming they have to keep my car for half a day in order to replace the evse. They're claiming there's some kind of inspection that has to happen. This is a giant pain in the ass for me since I have to drop off my car, get a ride to work, get a ride back to the dealership later in the day... just to have the charging cable swapped out. Am I right to be annoyed or is there actually some other work that I'm not aware of that has to be done that requires keeping my car for half a day?
2014 Blue Candy FFE

Crash
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:11 pm

Re: EVSE Recall mail

Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:23 am

Has anyone plugged this in to 240 and confirmed it works? I just picked mine up, and if it works, I'll hire an electrician to install 240 in my garage.

I've had Ella for almost 4 years, and have charged 95% of the time on 120! The other 5% was at a garage near work with L2.
2012 Ford Focus Electric
2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE Touring
1957 Chevrolet 210

kalel14
Posts: 116
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:05 am

Re: EVSE Recall mail

Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:41 pm

TrojanEV wrote:So my dealer is claiming they have to keep my car for half a day in order to replace the evse. They're claiming there's some kind of inspection that has to happen. This is a giant pain in the ass for me since I have to drop off my car, get a ride to work, get a ride back to the dealership later in the day... just to have the charging cable swapped out. Am I right to be annoyed or is there actually some other work that I'm not aware of that has to be done that requires keeping my car for half a day?
This sounds totally bogus.

121gigawatts
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:37 pm

Re: EVSE Recall mail

Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:19 pm

Crash wrote:Has anyone plugged this in to 240 and confirmed it works? I just picked mine up, and if it works, I'll hire an electrician to install 240 in my garage.

I've had Ella for almost 4 years, and have charged 95% of the time on 120! The other 5% was at a garage near work with L2.

Check out the link I posted, and skip to the last 3-4 pages. It seem like its plug and play with an adapter.. I've got to ask, why is a cheap EVSE the tipping point to being the reason you add a 220 to your garage? Surely the 220 is way more expensive than the EVSE. A few years ago I sold my Volt EVSE for $240 on ebay, then bought a used 15A L2 EVSE for $175. Its not that much more money for an L2 EVSE, especially if you're happy with a 15A L2. You can get a used 30A Clipper Creek for $300.
TrojanEV wrote:So my dealer is claiming they have to keep my car for half a day in order to replace the evse. They're claiming there's some kind of inspection that has to happen. This is a giant pain in the ass for me since I have to drop off my car, get a ride to work, get a ride back to the dealership later in the day... just to have the charging cable swapped out. Am I right to be annoyed or is there actually some other work that I'm not aware of that has to be done that requires keeping my car for half a day?
Go to another dealer.. Its Ford, they must have another one 10 miles in any direction. I'm in Iowa and when my Chevy dealer said they wouldn't do a warranty repair on my EVSE (Volt) I went to the next one 2.3 miles away and they were happy to do it.

Crash
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:11 pm

Re: EVSE Recall mail

Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:31 am

121gigawatts wrote: I've got to ask, why is a cheap EVSE the tipping point to being the reason you add a 220 to your garage?
Two reasons:

1. Weekdays I rarely drive over 5 miles, so the L1 always has me fully charged every morning.

2. Sheer laziness :D Since the L1 had me covered, never even looked at installing L2.
2012 Ford Focus Electric
2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE Touring
1957 Chevrolet 210

Return to “General / Main Focus Electric Owners Forum”