My two cents

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FFEV Herman

Love the car with only one exception. Traction. When driving surface streets at even moderate (35-45 MPH) speeds it seems as if anything more than gentle deceleration/acceleration inputs results in loss of traction. Mind you, this is coming from a guy who also drives a 14 Shelby. I know most of you attribute this to tires, which is probably true. My main concern is whether I'll be able to use the vehicle in colder weather; perhaps when there's a dusting on the roadways and/or light icing. When it gets real nasty out, I can always rely on the Super Duty; however, I had hoped to push the FFE into winter service. I'm not so sure, perhaps I'll try some different tires.

I had the same issue with the stock Michelin Energy Saver tires. They also failed inspection after 20k miles. I replaced them with Michelin Primacy MXM4's, and the grip is much better. There is a bit of tire noise, however.

I would make sure the traction control is enabled. The traction control should kick in when tire slip is detected. This should help increase tire life. I have 24k miles on my tires right now with no wear issues yet. It should be possible to get 40k or more out of the tires.

We actually have it really good with the tires. The Goodyears that go on Volts are a nightmare. They have repeated sidewall blowouts. I have two Volts and had two sidewall blowouts on consecutive days. That's insane.

My friend has three Volts and he has had five flats, four of them sidewall blowouts.

Back