jloucks

Re: Long time owners without major issues?

Fri May 15, 2015 12:28 pm

Hopefully not jinxing myself, but ours is at around the 25,000 mark and no major issues. The check your wrench light came one once or twice early on, but wen't off on their own never to return. Once in a while when we plug it in, the charger doesn't click into charge mode immediately.

Overall very happy with the quiet ninja car.
2014 Chevrolet Corvette
2013 Ford Focus Electric
2009 Cadillac STS V8
2005 Ford Crown Victoria LE
2004 Dodge Ram 3500

GTOGreg

Sun May 17, 2015 8:53 pm

28K miles here on my 2012. No issues to speak of other than a couple SSNs around the 3K mile mark that were addressed quickly after they were in the shop. Otherwise, zero maintenance or worries. Plug it in and drive. Lease will be up in Nov and we will miss it I'm sure. Probably going Tesla now that we're bought in to the concept and are immune to range anxiety.

Suleozev

Tue May 19, 2015 12:46 pm

Well I am not a long time owner (6 months, 7K miles) but I had a major issue, which should have been minor. My coolant pump broke. As you may know, this is the pump that cools the battery. As a result, the battery overheats and goes nuts in terms of milage. My range has dropped from a comfortable 85 to 45 or less. Worse, I don't want to drive around with a large Lithium Ion battery that is heating up. It is a major reliability risk.
They can't find a replacement part. "The supplier made some engineering changes and it is not clear when they will have the pump in production" is the exact wording that I received from the dealer.
Meanwhile, I am paying for this car, while having to drive around in a rental Corolla for some undetermined amount of time.
I am glad that I might be the only one with this problem as I would not want to hear about little Ford Focuses that catch on fire due to battery overheating... But, that does not solve my problem...

hybridbear

Tue May 19, 2015 1:07 pm

Suleozev wrote:Well I am not a long time owner (6 months, 7K miles) but I had a major issue, which should have been minor. My coolant pump broke. As you may know, this is the pump that cools the battery. As a result, the battery overheats and goes nuts in terms of milage. My range has dropped from a comfortable 85 to 45 or less. Worse, I don't want to drive around with a large Lithium Ion battery that is heating up. It is a major reliability risk.
They can't find a replacement part. "The supplier made some engineering changes and it is not clear when they will have the pump in production" is the exact wording that I received from the dealer.
Meanwhile, I am paying for this car, while having to drive around in a rental Corolla for some undetermined amount of time.
I am glad that I might be the only one with this problem as I would not want to hear about little Ford Focuses that catch on fire due to battery overheating... But, that does not solve my problem...
Have you tried a different dealer? This somewhat sounds like an uneducated or lazy dealer.
2013 Ford Focus Electric - Ice Storm - leased through 8/15/16
Replaced by a 2016 Tesla Model S 60D

JTCalif

Tue May 19, 2015 2:03 pm

Suleozev wrote: My coolant pump broke. As you may know, this is the pump that cools the battery. As a result, the battery overheats and goes nuts in terms of milage. My range has dropped from a comfortable 85 to 45 or less.
1. What indication(s) did you see (in car, or online) about that problem?
2. Did you call Ford directly?
That problem is Major (obviously).
FFE built Jan 2015 (was FFE May 2012)

Return to “General / Main Focus Electric Owners Forum”