CA rebate problem

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laixl

I got an email from CVRP that my car was a "used" car and not qualified for the 2500$ rebate. I leased the car for 36 months, and the car is new. Does leasing qualify the rebate?

Thanks

My understanding is leasing still qualifies for the CA rebate. Sounds like there could have been some paperwork confusion on your car. Probably best to call CVRP and see what needs to be corrected.

laixl said:
I got an email from CVRP that my car was a "used" car and not qualified for the 2500$ rebate. I leased the car for 36 months, and the car is new. Does leasing qualify the rebate?
Hmm... could that actually be correct? Have you checked the car's ownership records and know for sure that you are the first owner?

Did maybe the dealer lease you a pre-owned FFE that was "like new", and just left off the "like" when they told you the car was "new"? Dealers are slimy like that.

If that is true, then I'm afraid you don't qualify. The rebate only applies to the first owner of a brand-new vehicle.

I'm afraid WattsUp might be right. If the car had been used as a demo, for example, it might have gotten registered by the dealer. Talk to the CVRP people, they seem to be helpful.

The Chevy dealer offered me a very sweet deal on a Volt that had been used for a demo, but I passed for worry about this exact problem. They were selling it as a new car, but it had previously had dealer plates issued to it.

CVRP told me my lease stated it was a used car. Too bad I didn't read the lease carefully when I signed. CVRP requires 3 years of ownership to get the rebate, how can the dealer take advantage from this?

According to CVRP, I am still able to get the rebate if it is a demo car, or unwind car, but I need a proof from my dealership. Will check with the dealer tomorrow.

Thanks

michael said:
I'm afraid WattsUp might be right. If the car had been used as a demo, for example, it might have gotten registered by the dealer. Talk to the CVRP people, they seem to be helpful.

The Chevy dealer offered me a very sweet deal on a Volt that had been used for a demo, but I passed for worry about this exact problem. They were selling it as a new car, but it had previously had dealer plates issued to it.

The car has only 50 miles on it when I drove it home. How can it be "pre-owned"? I randomly picked a car from dealer's lot, I am so unlucky.

WattsUp said:
laixl said:
Hmm... could that actually be correct? Have you checked the car's ownership records and know for sure that you are the first owner?

Did maybe the dealer lease you a pre-owned FFE that was "like new", and just left off the "like" when they told you the car was "new"? Dealers are slimy like that.

If that is true, then I'm afraid you don't qualify. The rebate only applies to the first owner of a brand-new vehicle.

laixl said:
The car has only 50 miles on it when I drove it home. How can it be "pre-owned"? I randomly picked a car from dealer's lot, I am so unlucky.
I don't know, but have you checked the car's ownership history? Perhaps something funny happened, like a "backed-out" sale to someone else, or perhaps some other kind of shenanigans between dealerships.

Check the history. That should give you an answer. At the very least, if the history shows that your are indeed the original and only owner, that will provide evidence you can show to the CVRP (and ask again to claim your rebate).

Related, has the CVRP explained to you how they determined that the car was "used"?

CVRP told me my lease document is for used car, not new car.

How can I check the car's ownership history?

Thanks

WattsUp said:
laixl said:
I don't know, but have you checked the car's ownership history? Perhaps something funny happened, like a "backed-out" sale to someone else, or perhaps some other kind of shenanigans between dealerships.

Check the history. That should give you an answer. At the very least, if the history shows that your are indeed the original and only owner, that will provide evidence you can show to the CVRP (and ask again to claim your rebate).

Related, has the CVRP explained to you how they determined that the car was "used"?

laixl said:
You mean the paperwork from the dealer reflects that?

Is that true? What do the documents say? Did you ask the dealer what's going on?

laixl said:
The standard place would be http://www.carfax.com.

You might also some try some of these tips first:
http://www.wikihow.com/Check-Vehicle-History-for-Free

It has a "used" on the lease. I will ask the dealer tomorrow.

WattsUp said:
laixl said:

Is that true? What do the documents say? Did you ask the dealer what's going on?

laixl said:

laixl said:
Yeah, very curious situation. I hope the dealer hasn't pulled something on you. (Like "buying" the car themselves, claiming the $2500 as the owner, and then "selling" it back to themselves as "new", before leasing it to you.)

Maybe it was just a mistake or misunderstanding, and your car really is new, and they'll work with you to straighten out the paperwork. (But, something tells me that car dealerships don't do anything "accidentally". They might be careless in other areas, but when it comes to money, they pay full attention.)

WattsUp said:
laixl said:
Yeah, very curious situation. I hope the dealer hasn't pulled something on you. (Like "buying" the car themselves, claiming the $2500 as the owner, and then "selling" it back to themselves as "new", before leasing it to you.)

Maybe it was just a mistake or misunderstanding, and your car really is new, and they'll work with you to straighten out the paperwork. (But, something tells me that car dealerships don't do anything "accidentally". They might be careless in other areas, but when it comes to money, they pay full attention.)

I don't think they can take advantage from this. CVRP requires 3 years ownership. If they did this, I will definitely report to CVRP and the dealer needs to return the rebate.
It could be an unwind car -- somebody bought it and failed the finance late. Anyway, I will check it out tomorrow.

laixl said:

WattsUp said:
laixl said:

laixl said:

Are you able to post a pic of your paperwork where it says this? Be sure to black out any confidential information first. That is very strange.

laixl said:
I don't think they can take advantage from this. CVRP requires 3 years ownership. If they did this, I will definitely report to CVRP and the dealer needs to return the rebate.
It could be an unwind car -- somebody bought it and failed the finance late. Anyway, I will check it out tomorrow.
How is the 3 yrs of ownership rule tracked? What would happen if someone bought a Leaf but then sold it after 2 yrs? How would anyone know? How would you ever get the $2500 back from them if they had already received that money?

I think if you sell the car after 2 years and don't let CVRP knows, you are OK. It is just a policy, and it is not easy to enforce.

hybridbear said:
laixl said:
How is the 3 yrs of ownership rule tracked? What would happen if someone bought a Leaf but then sold it after 2 yrs? How would anyone know? How would you ever get the $2500 back from them if they had already received that money?

My car is a rollbacl/unwind car. The dealer shown me my signature on the rollback/unwind car disclosure today. I am sure they didn't explained the disclosure at the time I signed the paperwork. They just bury the disclosure in the paperwork and let me sign it.

Since unwind car is still qualified, and I ask the dealer to send the paperwork to CVRP. Hope I will get my rebate soon.

The lesson is that reading the paperwork carefully before you sign it.

WattsUp said:
laixl said:

CVRP just confirmed me that I would get my approval in couple days. They are really very nice and helpful.

laixl said:
My car is a rollbacl/unwind car. The dealer shown me my signature on the rollback/unwind car disclosure today. I am sure they didn't explained the disclosure at the time I signed the paperwork. They just bury the disclosure in the paperwork and let me sign it.

Since unwind car is still qualified, and I ask the dealer to send the paperwork to CVRP. Hope I will get my rebate soon.

The lesson is that reading the paperwork carefully before you sign it.

WattsUp said:
laixl said:

Someone buy/lease the car, but finance/lease got cancelled due to whatever reason. Dealer has to take it back and sell it as a "used" car. The car never leaves dealer's lot, but it is a "used" car.

hybridbear said:
laixl said:
My car is a rollback/unwind car.
What does that mean?

Back