How to check battery health on used FFE purchase?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DylanR

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum and thinking about purchasing a used 2017 FFE.

When checking out the car I noticed about 115km of range with 85% SoC and climate control off.

Was wondering if this is typical range for these cars, and approximately how much degradation this is?

The car has about 110,000 km on it btw.

Thanks,
Dylan

You can not go by the range on the gauge as previous driving will shift the number. I was able to get a 5 year old battery to display a range over 300km on a full charge by driving it VERY conservatively.

You'll want to pull the EtE with Forscan and an OBD dongle or do a rundown test using the energy value tracked on the trip meter. The percentage can even drift so the larger the range you can validate, the better.

Before my battery swap, the SoC percentage would drop sharply from 100% cross back over at like 60% and then meet up again at zero. So more of an s curve than a line. But it was also pretty worn at that point.

You can not go by the range on the gauge as previous driving will shift the number. I was able to get a 5 year old battery to display a range over 300km on a full charge by driving it VERY conservatively.

You'll want to pull the EtE with Forscan and an OBD dongle or do a rundown test using the energy value tracked on the trip meter. The percentage can even drift so the larger the range you can validate, the better.

Before my battery swap, the SoC percentage would drop sharply from 100% cross back over at like 60% and then meet up again at zero. So more of an s curve than a line. But it was also pretty worn at that point.
What's with all this talk about battery swaps, is it a common thing with these vehicles? I would hate to purchase this 2017 unit and have to pay 7000 (quote I got from dealer) for a new out of warranty battery.

What's with all this talk about battery swaps, is it a common thing with these vehicles? I would hate to purchase this 2017 unit and have to pay 7000 (quote I got from dealer) for a new out of warranty battery.
Three question:
(1) In what country are you buying the car? (Relates to whether you qualify for a 30% tax credit, but only if you buy from a participating dealer.)
(2) What are you paying for the car?
(3) Is the battery the dealer offers truly new old stock?

If the price was right, and the dealer was willing to install the NOS battery pre-purchase and roll the cost into your tax-credit eligible purchase price, it may be a very worthy purchase.

[-tv]

Three question:
(1) In what country are you buying the car? (Relates to whether you qualify for a 30% tax credit, but only if you buy from a participating dealer.)
(2) What are you paying for the car?
(3) Is the battery the dealer offers truly new old stock?

If the price was right, and the dealer was willing to install the NOS battery pre-purchase and roll the cost into your tax-credit eligible purchase price, it may be a very worthy purchase.

[-tv]
1) I'm purchasing in Ontario Canada from a used car dealership so don't think I'm eligible

2) It's about $11k CAD

3) Not sure what you mean by new old stock

New old stock means new in the sense that it hasn't been used, old in the sense that it's been sitting around. It's exceedingly unlikely to be a new pack, likely remanufactured.

Can't speak to how common swaps ended up being, but it seemed more likely than not for smaller batteries to end up swapped in warranty. In my case it was right after they started offering the larger battery for 2017s and they didn't have stock of the smaller ones.

New old stock means new in the sense that it hasn't been used, old in the sense that it's been sitting around. It's exceedingly unlikely to be a new pack, likely remanufactured.

Can't speak to how common swaps ended up being, but it seemed more likely than not for smaller batteries to end up swapped in warranty. In my case it was right after they started offering the larger battery for 2017s and they didn't have stock of the smaller ones.
Ok thanks for the info!

Back