Turbocord from Aerovironment

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmen

Just read about a new portable/plugin EVSE called Turbocord. Smallest level 2 cord I've seen. Neat thing is it has an adapter so it can switch between 120v (12A) and 240v (16A). That level 2 is a bit wimpy, but should charge the FFE from empty in about 6 hours. At $649, it costs $100 more than the portable clipper creek that charges in 5 hours, but it looks like it can fit in the trunk's cord cubbyhole and replace the cord that came with the car rather than be carried in addition.
Nice to see more options!

First of all, the link: http://evsolutions.avinc.com/turbocord

Odd that Aerovironment made the Level 2 charging on this thing so wimpy (3840 kW), especially since they tout that it has special circuitry to monitor temperature. Seems like they could have beefed up the Level 2 power (perhaps to as much as 5760 kW, which could fully charge an FFE in just over 4 hours) given the added protection against overheating. Oh well, I'm sure they'll come out with more powerful model in time... the "MegaTurboCord" or something. Still, I'm glad to see somebody interested in making small, portable, and flexible EVSE equipment.

In any case, personally I would still go for the ClipperCreek LCS-25 that I currently use with my FFE, given that it is just as portable (assuming you buy the version with a plug, or attach one like I did) and significantly more powerful (4800 kW). And it really isn't any hardship for me to keep both the OEM Level 1 unit and the LCS-25 in the trunk of my FFE.

This new cord would give you best of both worlds 240 when its availiable and 120 when its not.... cool idea

Check out
http://www.AVEV101.com

Looks like you can save $100 on the install and$50 on the 30Amp unit but doesn't say how much you can save on the TurboCord?

I will point out that the JuiceBox unit runs on either 120v or 240v also. It is less money and operates on up to 60 amps (if you will ever need that on a future car). Here is the link, the assembled and corded unit runs about $420 plus shipping. http://www.emotorwerks.com/products/online-store/product/show/44-emw-juicebox-level-2-15kw-ev-charging-station-kit-or-assembled-unit

Also those Jucieboxes are BIG when it comes down to portability. You could accomplish about the same thing having the Leaf L1 upgraded and then get a plug adapter Just as weak though

az erik said:
Also those Jucieboxes are BIG when it comes down to portability. You could accomplish about the same thing having the Leaf L1 upgraded and then get a plug adapter Just as weak though
I don't consider 10x7x3” box to be that BIG. The cords are much more of an issue when it comes to storage, and you really can't get around that no matter what unit you use.

As to upgrading a Leaf charger, you do realize that the cost for a new upgraded Leaf charger is $1,000+ from the upgrade company? For your money, you can't get a portable 30+ amp unit for less than the Juicebox.

jmueller065 said:
Note that they still aren't shipping the Premium Juiceboxes yet.
Other than style, I really don't see much to be gained by going with the Premium Juicebox. I think its more for people who are building their own EV conversion and need the additional internet controls and information.

Back