HV battery possible exchange of packages

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vglukh

Hello guys,
I write here with hope to get some opinion or advice. I have FFE, 2013y model. The car is in great conditions, but the battery is exhausted completely. Lately I could drive ~25km on it. In Ukraine where I live It is impossible to find such battery for reasonamle money. Moreover It is impossible to find battery at all )) So I have an idea to replace Li-Ion packages.
The battery of Focus consists of serial connection of modules and in each module we have parallel connections of 5 packages LGX P1. Each LGX P1 should has capacity 15 ah, so we should have 75 ah for per one parallel connection.
Actually LGX P1 are not sold. In our region it is possible to buy newer packages marked as LG-Chem LGX-P34 with capacity 34 ah. They have the same dimensions, but they are 2 mm thicker. So hypothetically we can connect two LGX-P34 in parallel and replace five LGX P1. It looks like we will have similar capacity of such module. But I have some doubts about currents. Will they stand at huge currents during accelerations? What do you think about it ?
Also what do you think about cooling? Some people say that cooling is important, other say that cooling in Ford is just for itself. It looks like it would be hard to install cooling radiators due to other thickness.
And of course question about BEMS, will it work without any issues with other packages?

Thanks a lot in advance for any information or advice!

Current draw from cells is usually in terms of the cell capacity versus the hours it takes to discharge. So a 1C draw on a 15Ah cell would be 15A for an hour.

Generally the C ratings are very close within the same chemistry and form factor. But even if they differ here they would have to be *extremely* different to not handle a similar draw from a cell with more than 2x the capacity.

That is to say, the new cells could only have half the C rating for discharge and they would still be better than the originals in the same configuration.

If you use 2 to replace 5, the C rate would need to be about the same. But if the only difference is 2mm thickness, is seriously consider slight modification of the module case to make a little more room.

Cooling may not be an issue if you're not in a hot location, but it might actually be less of a concern if you can do the 5 cell arrangement.

I can't give much on the internal wiring, but I THINK the modules are actually wired in a way that allows every cell to be individually monitored so changing to a different arrangement might not be possible.

Anti_Climax said:
I can't give much on the internal wiring, but I THINK the modules are actually wired in a way that allows every cell to be individually monitored so changing to a different arrangement might not be possible.

Hello, Thanks for reply, as I understand and we see it in the Forscan app charging system only controls the voltage on each set of cells connected in parallel.

Back