Possible to add a second upper used battery to extend range?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjw576

Hi all...wondering if possible to add a second upper used HV to extend range in my 2012 FFE. Has anyone attempted or researched this? I would think it would be fairly easy to do and put it in back seat area as I don't use the back seat. Currently my car has 85,000 miles on it and I believe has lost 10 to 15% of the original range due to battery degradation. I would love to get over a hundred miles of range rather than the 65 to 70 I currently get. I saw an upper battery pack for $1,800 used on the internet. Thinking this would be a better option than total battery replacement. Any help or technical information would be appreciated. Thank you!

If you think only adding upper pack, you won't be getting voltage required for charge dump method. Becouse upper pack is connected in series with lower battery.

If you want to add only upper pack, you must modify it's internall connection of cells to match full battery voltage (380v) and connect it in paralell with your lower and upper packs.

I don't know if upper pack has cells connected in parralell, and if it wuold be possible to ramp up the voltage.

Back