Clicking noise

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tzgoetz3

FFE 2017. Was charging it and when I got to get in it it was completely shut off dead. Figured it over heated. Waited a bit and now when I open the door you can hear a clicking noise from under the hood. I haven’t tried starting it just trying to figure out what to do and where to start before going to dealership! Thanks

When I tried to turn it on the lights flashed still the clicking noise and the screen said to turn off car to save battery

Check that the 12V battery is not completely dead.
If you see less than 12.3 volts across the terminals, its time for a new one. Especially if it is the original.
If the 12V battery is good, but low, remove it from the car, charge it up, and then put it back in.
With a 12V battery that puts out at least 12.8 volts, try to charge the car with the supplied Ford charger.
If that doesn't work, try someone elses charger. If that doesn't work, and the vehicles state of charge is just going down, you are going to need to get it to a dealer or a reputable hybrid/electric repair shop.
If you have a computer, forscan compatible OBDII adapter, and forscan, you could check for DTCs.
You can pull some DTCs through engineering mode, but I do not know the limitations.
Knowing the DTCs, you can reference the service manual to determine what might be wrong.
Clicking at the rear of the car would be the contactors inside of the HV batteries.
Clicking at the front of the car could be inside the GFA2, (i think that is what it is called.) The silver box next to the 12V battery. Clicking in there would be the contactors for the DC fast charging of the HV battery.
Clicking could also be one of the relays in the fuse box to the side of the 12V battery.
Other clicking could be the refrigerant valves, one at the front of the drive unit, one under the coolant reservoir.

So I have no idea what I’m doing so can you explain what I need to do to take the 12v battery and charge it? Also where do I see how much it is charged? Sorry very new to all this. Thanks

I am sorry, if you have no experience servicing an automobile, there are autopart stores, like Oreilly and Autozone, that will do a battery check for you. Additionally, some roadside services, like AAA, will replace a 12V on location. Perhaps you know someone locally that has a set of tools that could remove the 12V battery for you.

The "Turn off the vehicle to save battery" is specifically a 12V message and suggests the 12V battery is low.

An auto-shop can sell you a 12V battery charger - but you want a trickle charger. You DO NOT need a jumper unit - EVs do not have the high 12V power draw that goes along with running a starter on an ICE vehicle. That said, a jumper (or jumping from another vehicle) would let you get it started.

But try with the Ford convenience charger first. You can even try to start while that charger is attached. If you can get it fully "started" the car starts converting some of the high voltage to 12V and may be able to charge the battery back up enough to get it to shop for a new 12V battery.

Back