Rough engage/disengage feel of engine

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarlPace

Got a 2014 FFE with 96,000 miles and I noticed something weird in the handling. Just want to know if its normal, or cause for concern: Please bear with me while I try to describe:

I can feel the drive engaging and disengaging as it goes between slowing and accelerating, and it's not particularly smooth. It sort of feels similar to shifting a car with a transmission from Neutral to Drive: There's that slight delay before you feel/hear the gears "catch." At low speeds, without the road noise, I can even feel/hear a very subtle "clunk."

Should the transition between coasting and accelerating feel smoother? Or is this just what it feels like to come into/out of regenerative braking with the FFE?

Thanks.

You're probably hearing the motor shift back and forth on the mounts. Just like a gas engine, it's mounted on rubberized brackets that let it shift around as forces change. Without that it puts WAY more stress on CV joints and gear teeth as it goes from accelerating and stopping, especially since regen is effectively engine braking.

With that many miles, the rubber is probably getting dry/stiff so it's going to get more rough. It's also possible one might be broken.

Fascinating... makes sense. If it starts getting worse I'll at least know where to look first, or what to tell the shop I take it to. Thanks!

If you put it in park on level ground and leave the parking brake off, you can test it pretty easily - though I'd recommend some extra hands.

If you rock the car forward and back with the hood up, you should be able to see the motor shift and see if it's making the noise you're hearing.

I'll give it a shot... Any idea if the FFE takes the same motor mounts as its ICE equivalent?

Alright. Confirmed mounting issue. When I push back and forth I can see the motor tilting up and down, with the sound coming from the driver’s side mount.

CarlPace said:
Any idea if the FFE takes the same motor mounts as its ICE equivalent?

Practically certain it does not, since the motors don't have the same shape.

It might be possible to get it rebuilt but that's not likely to be less expensive than replacement.

Edit: Looks like one might be the same, which isn't too surprising.

Got it. Thank you. Went to Ford and they said I could get it looked at for $150 in two weeks. Then Firestone said "Give us twenty bucks and a couple hours, we'll do a full inspection." lol.

I'm gonna get the low-down from them, and then call dealer to see if its covered under warranty. I supposedly still have it for another 4,000 miles, and 7 months.

Looks like RockAuto sells a motor mount and a torque bar mount for the FFE. Look for the 2012 FFE.

Back