What level 2 charger is everyone using these days?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NavinRJohnson

I'm moving soon and need to have a charger installed at my new place (outdoors). Which make/model of charger are people highly recommending these days? I have a '14 FFE.

Don't have the FFE anymore but my Clipper Creek (use in campgrounds, LCS-25P), Bosch Power Xpress (set to 30A), and JuiceBox (set to 36A) all work great on our C-Max and Bolt.

The charger is built into the car. I assume you mean which EVSE or glorified extension cord are we using as I'm fairly certain no one has changed their OEM charger except maybe sefs who while not replacing his OEM charger, IIRC added a Brusa charger and added a CHAdeMO and ganged up several OEM chargers to "supercharge" his FFE with. For my EVSE I'm still using my JuiceBox that I use for both my FFE and TM3.

Ive got a GE watt station (outdoor model) and a cheap ebay 16A L2 portable charger. They both work well. The GE is just a big grey box with a big blinking light in the middle. Weatherproof and can be set for up to 30A charging.

We also have a GE Wattstation. We had to replace it but I think that was more of the fault of the car we were plugging into it rather than the charger. The replacement has been working great for years.

The Primecom.Tech charger on Amazon has high reviews, 269 us dollars. I am doing research, will be taking delivery of a 2014 next weekend Anyone use this? What about the mfg suggestion that you slow charge the battery?

I use a TurboChord. It is 240v 16amp. It puts out 3.6 KWh per hour. It is portable. Cost $199 now. Only draw back is the unique plug. I found that slower charging is not an issue as we charge two EV cars at night time. Each fully charged in the morning. We have two plugs/two chargers.

Silver Rabbit
2017 Ford Focus Electric
2017 Honda Clarity Electric

Back