sobdm location

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

So, ford is replacing the sobdm in my 2013 ffe to try and solve the constant dtc issues.Is this located under the car behind the motor and before the battery? I found a diagram that just shows a big blue box and labels it as the sobdm. Its fairly huge. Ive seen pics of one for a c-max and it was maybe 1.5' x 10". Does anyone know the part number for this or a link to a pic or diagram showing its size and location?

Yeah, thanks, I had watched that and saw the cmax part. The diagram I have for the ffe shows it under the floor and looking much bigger, totally separate from the battery. Is the cmax battery and components only air cooled? I see all sorts of fans that the ffe does not have.

I'm pretty sure the cmax battery isn't liquid cooled but I don't know for sure. On the FFE the only thing between the battery and the motor up front is the charger. I suppose if it's small enough it could be on top of the charger but I doubt it. I'd guess it's probably integrated into or right next to one of the battery modules.

triangles said:
I'm pretty sure the cmax isn't liquid cooled but I don't know for sure. On the FFE the only thing between the battery and the motor up front is the charger. I suppose if it's small enough it could be on top of the charger but I doubt it. I'd guess it's probably integrated into or right next to one of the battery modules.

In the diagram that I have, the sobdm is also called the high voltage battery charger. Heres the link to the pdf. Its an interesting tech manual.

http://135jik1bbhst1159ri1ax2pj.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/20/2010/11/2014-Focus-Emergency-Response-Guide-Focus_EV_ERG.pdf

Yep that's the onboard charger. That pic is the shape and size of the charger. I'd guestimate about 10" wide by 3' long by 3"-4" thick. I didn't know they also call it the SOBDM. I didn't know it had any diagnostics circuits built into it. I thought it was solely the battery charger. I guess I learned something today. It is liquid cooled as converting the AC to DC battery voltage gives off enough heat to require it. Hopefully whoever is working on your car can follow directions and properly purges all the air out of the coolant so you don't have charging issues. Another owner had problems after he got his FFE back and it wouldn't charge properly because air in the coolant lines was obstructing flow causing overheating. Good luck and keep us informed.

Yeah, I had wondered about the purging too. I know my lower battery was removed so I guess it had to be done for that too.

https://www.nfpa.org/-/media/Files/Training/AFV/Emergency-Response-Guides/Ford/Ford-Focus-EV-2012-2016-ERG.ashx

Page 6:

Secondary On-Board Diagnostic Module (SOBDM) (High Voltage Battery Charger) Located under the vehicle aft of the engine compartment. Has both low and high voltage electrical connections.

I think they went with SOBDM because it was already available as a "component" in their CANBus architecture. Doesn't seem to have any significant diagnostic function beyond what any other module can do.

Back