Fan working during Charge

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kamroud

Hi all,
I charged my car for the first time using high speed IKEA free charging station (Thanks IKEA) and noticed the fan inside the car is working and sending out cold air. I couldn't turn it off, so, changed the airflow direction. Now, a couple of questions for the experienced owners:
1. Is fan working normal?
2. After charging above 80% (can't remember exactly when) the fan stopped but the charging station was showing charging as the percentage was incrementing. When it reached to 98%, decided to disconnect the charge and when left the car, noticed the LED on the car beside the connector is off while the charging station still working. What this means?
3. In the winter, or summer, how can I turn on heater or A/C while charging? Should I turn on the car or just accessories?
Thanks in advance for your guidance.

The newer models also use the HVAC to cool the car/battery while charging (in addition to the battery chiller). This is because charging generates a lot of heat.

Note that charging is done on a curve, as you get closer to being done the current will ramp down (and the HVAC fan will turn off). The closer it gets to being done the less current it will use.

I've noticed in both the FFE and my C-Max that the car will indicate that charging is complete before it actually stops charging (hence the outside charge ring shutting off due to full charge).

Huh, was curious about one thing... in DC fast charge mode I also noticed it reports "full" at 98% and if I try to restart the fast charge, the charging station times out trying to communicate with the car.

The interior A/C blower happens too but only with DC fast charging. It was so bad last weekend the inside of the car had condensation everywhere (east coast humidity here). I never see the AC run during level 2 charging though, just the louder fan noise when the chiller is operating.

spirilis said:
Huh, was curious about one thing... in DC fast charge mode I also noticed it reports "full" at 98% and if I try to restart the fast charge, the charging station times out trying to communicate with the car.

The interior A/C blower happens too but only with DC fast charging. It was so bad last weekend the inside of the car had condensation everywhere (east coast humidity here). I never see the AC run during level 2 charging though, just the louder fan noise when the chiller is operating.
Right DC fast charging really heats things up (and it has been reported on here that the HVAC runs during DC fast charging).

I believe that DC fast charging won't work unless its pretty well depleted to begin with so there really is no point in attempting to fast charge a 98% full battery (you'd be better off plugging into a Level 2 charger at that point).

The fast charging also charges on a curve so that near the end the current is dropping.

Back