120V charging at 24A?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triangles

I know the supplied EVSE will only charge at 12A when plugged into 120V. However with the appropriate EVSE and 120V 30A power source will the onboard charger charge at 24A off of 120V?

I've heard that the car will only charge at the slow 12A 120V rate no matter what the level 1 EVSE is capable of supplying.

Ford == gotta compromise.

Figures... I have a 4KW peak generator that is a single phase 120V generator. It's capable of 3.3KW continuous. It would be nice to use more than just a small portion of the capacity if I were to ever need it to get my car to the nearest plug. For S&G I will have to try it anyway.

scoops said:
I've heard that the car will only charge at the slow 12A 120V rate no matter what the level 1 EVSE is capable of supplying.

Is there another EV out there that can receive more than 12A @120V?

It won't do it :( I have tried to crank up the current with my juicebox but the for just stays put. Our Think City electric went from 13a to 15a but would go over 15a. I've wanted to get a transformer to boost up to 220v for running off a set of generators, but the weight and cost wouldn't justify it.

v_traveller said:
scoops said:

Is there another EV out there that can receive more than 12A @120V?

The Model S is capable (with some maneuvering) of charging at 24A on 120V.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/29950-It-IS-possible-to-charge-at-24A-from-a-120V-TT-30-plug

Not really sure if it is worth all the trouble though.

Back