Reverse problem

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We bought two 2013 FFE's. My car has done this three times and I got out of the stuck condition by turning the car off then back on again. My wife's car has never had this issue. We compared start up sequences and she is more deliberate during start up. Since I have slowed myself down during start up I have not had a stuck in reverse condition.

FWIW I get this problem quite often. I can say with reasonable assurance it is not the parking brake (on several occasions it has happened, I have stopped and carefully examined the brake both for feeling mechanically "stuck" or if it was binding.

I can also say that it does not happen to the wife, who is more deliberate and careful with her start up sequence. I tend to press the button and slam it down into reverse in nearly the same motion, guess I'm just more impatient.

I don't have definitive proof but I strongly suspect this is the hill assist engaging in the wrong circumstances, perhaps confused by quick activation. In addition to the steps other people have shown here, what works for me (and has become my standard way of dealing with it) is this:

1) Press accelerator while in reverse, car resists telling me I'm having the problem
2) Keep it in reverse, very lightly tap accelerator once, and then fully release
3) Proceed as normal

This sequence always works for me. I believe the light accelerate and release makes the car realize it is not in fact fighting an incline and it resets.

We sometimes experience the condition described in the TSB below. Perhaps that's what others have experienced.

Today I noticed something odd. We were parked in a parking lot space that sloped down. When I put the car in reverse and went to back up the car began rolling forward. I stopped and released the brake again and it again rolled forward. I should have tried shifting to Park and then back to Reverse but I was in a hurry and didn't think of that until later. Has anyone else experienced that? We feel the Hill Hold engage when we stop going uphill while in Drive.

Thanks!

hybridbear said:
We sometimes experience the condition described in the TSB below. Perhaps that's what others have experienced.

Today I noticed something odd. We were parked in a parking lot space that sloped down. When I put the car in reverse and went to back up the car began rolling forward. I stopped and released the brake again and it again rolled forward. I should have tried shifting to Park and then back to Reverse but I was in a hurry and didn't think of that until later. Has anyone else experienced that? We feel the Hill Hold engage when we stop going uphill while in Drive.

Thanks!
Anyone else experiencing this?

I have now experienced this three times within two weeks of purchasing a new FFE 2015. When parked on a slope (facing downwards), the green car Icon will not go on. I have resolved the issue in all three instances by rolling forward towards flatter ground. Fortunately this was an option. Will contact Ford tomorrow. Need a reliable solution.

Back