Battery Removal With Minimal Equipment

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarlPace

I'm hoping to extract the upper and lower HV battery packs from my FFE, but I don't have a hydraulic jib crane laying around. Transmission jacks seem more reasonably priced, so I might just pick one of those up for the lower pack.

I'm referencing this very helpful guide for steps and safety precautions, but it calls for a jib to get the upper pack out:
https://elvsolutions.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/2014_Focus_EV-Battery_Removal_Guide.pdf

Anyone know how heavy it is? Would it be remotely possible to get out by hand, or am I out of my league? I am not concerned about scraping/damaging the interior, if that makes a difference.

Thank you.

Follow-up question. There's a crucial part of the instructions that instructs me to
"Remove the retainer from the parking brake cable bracket, and position the parking brake cable and bracket aside. "

The car is parked on the side of the road, and I'm relying on the parking brake to keep it there. Since the battery is dead, if I shift the car into park I won't be able to get it back into neutral without jumping the 12V, which I would rather avoid.

Simple question: What is the "parking brake cable bracket retainer"? And is it something that can be removed without disengaging the brake itself?

EDIT: It's the step required to access the lower service disconnect, near the rear passenger-side wheel.

It sucks but you definitely do not need to remove anything to get that disconnect out. I've removed and reinserted it without even jacking up the car.

It's a pain in the ass and you may not have the same amount of luck I did, but it can be done.

Back