Catastrophic failure of low-milage Ford Focus

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ainsleyclare

My 2014 Ford Focus Electric (which I bought brand new) has 46K miles on it, and the high voltage battery died. It would cost 25-27K to replace the battery, basically the cost of a new car. So now my car that I loved so much is just an expensive paperweight. Of course, this happened a few months after the warranty expired. Ford corporate said that there was nothing they can do. Sounds to me like this is going to happen to a lot of Ford Electric cars in the next few years. Ford has redesigned its electric battery and now is making one that can be serviced. But that battery won't fit the older cars. If I had known I would get fewer than fifty thousand miles out of this car, I would never have bought it.

I guess I'm going to have to part it out. It's in really good shape except for the whole "coolant in the battery" thing. I'm looking into options.

I'd say, start with the battery if you're at all comfortable doing that. Depending on the damage, it can likely be split up and modules sold to folks that are trying to fix their own.

There is also the remote possiblity that it can be fixed. Any service dept will only swap them as complete assemblies but they are ultimately modular and serviceable by the manufacturer.

Haven't seen many replies on parts/failures, but all it takes is an accident in one with a good battery to have a buyer for literally everything else.

Found a replacement battery at a price too good to be true.
But it would not hurt to call and find out.
https://www.hansenfordparts.ca/oem-parts/ford-battery-cm5z10b759tarm
$4136 Canadian

Here is the battery for $5300
https://www.discountfordpartsfromsoundford.net/Ford-Part-Number-Index-p/cm5z-10b759-h.htm

Even if it's got some bad cells, you likely have a working one between them - and likely left over bits you can still sell for a decent amount.

Batteries like this are the only real source for replacement cells so there will certainly be interest.

Just make sure it's both sections. It would be a shame to only get a partial battery.

Where are you located?

If you are at all an inclined tinkerer you could disassemble the battery clean it up and bypass the coolant lines. You really need to be committed to safety though as these batteries have voltages that will kill you fast if you don't pay attention to what you are doing and take the appropriate safety measures.

I'm not a car tinkerer. I bought this car because it was supposed to be environmentally friendly and low-maintence. I appreciate the suggestions about where to get a low cost battery replacement, and I'll follow up on those.

Location? I'm in the process of replacing my battery packs due to coolant in the lower pack. I found a set of 33.5 kWh packs and am planning on disassembling my 23 kWh packs to see how many cells/ modules are still good. I'd be interested in buying your car for parts, or selling the good modules from my pack. Mine is a 2012 with 89,000 miles on it. I'm in Layton, Utah.

Back