zeldar

Re: Loud Road Noise when Driving

Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:37 pm

Dealer has now had the car since January 19th. I got an update a couple weeks ago. The problem is the transmission which needs to be replaced. $12,000 job! I was told it is covered under the power train warranty, thank goodness! Still waiting for the job to be completed. Going to call tomorrow and ask for an updated status. Delay is probably due to supply chain issues as we have all been dealing with since the China-caused pandemic.
2015 FFE
White Platinum Tri-Coat, Leather

2017focusev

Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:25 am

My 2017 Focus EV (I've owned since new now has 62k miles) recently started making a whirring noise coming from the front on drivers side. It goes up and down with vehicle speed. It's very noticeable from dead stop to about 15 mph then fades away. It's been getting worse the last few days. But, I noticed driving at speed with the window down I could hear the high pitched noise. I think it's definitely something in the drive train. Fortunately the Focus EV has an 8-year, 100,000 mile drive train warranty. I'll take it to Ford to see what they come up with. The only maintenance performed so far is a recent 12V battery replacement and tires at 28k. It's been a great maintenance free vehicle. ...and when something like this comes up this is when a new user (me) appears on forums. My symptom does not sound like your video. Mine is higher frequency and hardly noticeable at driving speeds. . Mine is more like a ticking sound very noticeable at less than 10mph. I also confirmed there are no recalls on my Focus EV.

triangles

Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:52 am

Sounds like you are describing a bad CV joint.
2014 Blue Candy FFE
http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/focus/2014/triangles/303811 (since this forum doesn't allow BBcode in sigs)

2017focusev

Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:05 pm

Not the CV joints. Got a closer look at it and the noise is inside the gearbox. Sounds like a bad bearing. The noise is a lot worse now (like a clothes dryer tumbling rocks) so I've parked it until it goes to the dealer soon. It should be covered under the 100k drivetrain warranty.

zeldar

Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:30 pm

Still waiting on mine. No update other than still waiting on parts. Been over 4 weeks now.... :roll:
2015 FFE

Anti_Climax

Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:47 am

I'd bet it's a part unique to our models and not kept on hand :/
2012 Candy Blue FFE
33.5kWh battery pack
CHAdeMO DC Fast Charging

zeldar

Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:39 pm

Here we are at the end of June, 2022 and my car is still at the Ford Dealer Service Dept; been there since January 19th, 2022. Supply chain issues (thanks to CCP/covid) delayed arrival of the first replacement motor assembly until mid-May. Once the unit arrived, the technician couldn't get the unit to accept the programming settings, so they ordered another unit, which arrived in early June. That one had the same issue. So... my car sits at the dealer waiting for some expert from Ford corporate to resolve the issue. This stage of the ordeal has been going on for over a month with no movement. I have suggested to the service manager that it may be that the new unit has different firmware and the settings extracted from the original TCM do not match up with the newer firmware and they may need to manually configure the settings and then upload them using programming software that is compatible with the new motor assembly firmware. Why else would two new units both not work??? :roll:

I am also working on a case with the BBB Auto Line arbitration program to pursue getting the car fixed or bought back so we can move on. After 5 months, I am losing faith this will ever be resolved. My first choice would be to get my Focus back on the road, but failing that, and if I am successful at the buy-back, I think I will buy a used Chevy Volt. Been very happy with our 2019 Volt Premier.
2015 FFE

Anti_Climax

Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:22 pm

If it does look like you're going to try a buyback, find out what it is worth to them. If they buy it back they are not going to finish the job and resell it, it's going to get junked or shipped overseas. And with how rare they will be getting, you may be able to get as much or more from a private buyer.
2012 Candy Blue FFE
33.5kWh battery pack
CHAdeMO DC Fast Charging

zeldar

Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:45 pm

True, but the car has to be working in order to sell to a private party. Right now, at 5+ months, it is still dead in the water at the dealer and there is no sign anything is moving forward on the repair. Very frustrating.
2015 FFE

Anti_Climax

Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:35 pm

It really doesn't, though that would certainly mean more potential buyers for it.

Just saying they have value in parts if only for their rarity and depending on the offer, you may be able to get as much or more from others.
2012 Candy Blue FFE
33.5kWh battery pack
CHAdeMO DC Fast Charging

Return to “General / Main Focus Electric Owners Forum”