Stop Safely Now Warning

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I received the SSN message on my way home from work. Waited a minute or two and restarted the car and drove home with no problem. I checked under the hood and found that the 12v battery showed about 12.8 volts. Coolant was at or slightly below minimum. I looked around to see if I could identify any leaks, but found none. I plan to check the batteries for fluid, and am hoping to identify the connectors that may be showing corrosion.
I started the car the next day and got SSN right away. I turned the car off and opened and closed the door and it went away.

I am curious, does Ford have any remaining responsibility related to the TSB-20-2004, or more current?
Any thoughts on being able to find replacement batteries, if that is the problem?

Thanks for your thoughts.

One of your best bets for a battery is a junker. A pack from Ford will not be worth the price.

But remember that SSN can be triggered by many things. I've had a few screwing around with charger stuff. Try to pull codes with ForScan if you can.

I finally found time to check into this. I drove the car for about a two mile round trip today for the first time since I got this error on June 9th. No issues on the drive. I'm not that familiar with checking this stuff, but this is what I see that seems to be relevant.

I got Successful DTC reading, no error codes found.

Module: Battery Energy Control Module

I am familiar that there could be an issue with the 12 volt battery, I checked it and am getting just below 13 volts. I am also somewhat aware that there was an issue with cabling that Ford replaced on occasion, also that the battery itself could have a coolant leak that would produce issues, and the connectors could be not making a good connection. I am however completely unfamiliar with what codes would represent these issues, or where I would find them in the Forscan software.

I have the car up on jack stands and have disconnected the HV disconnects. I am looking for the drain that would tell me if I have a leak into one of the batteries. No luck so far. I have removed the cover from the upper battery. Not having much luck getting the push pins to free up on the lower cover. I don't believe the coolant has leaked into the battery, but just want to verify while I have it in the garage.

Considering your post was 5 hours ago, it might be too late to tell you that the drain plugs are located on the bottom surface of the battery on opposite corners.

If you haven't downloaded the service manual, I would suggest you do so before you get too deep into it.

https://www.myfocuselectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=33336

Thank you for getting back. Yes I have downloaded the manual, although I am not having any luck locating an image of where the drain plugs may be. I was able to get the push pins free without breaking anything :) , but was unable to see anything I identified as a drain plug :( I hooked up the forscan again this morning and it is showing a DTCs in BECM POAOA:00-08. I am looking through the manuals steps for this code. Looks like I should disconnect the batteries, and check all the connectors to start. I have read on this forum that dielctric grease is a bad idea for these connections.

I have also DTCS in:
TCM: P1AOA:01-08
PCM: P2613:00-0F, P0AA0:01-08
APIM: B1215:00-2B
BdyCM: B1D00:15-68, B1D01:15-68
RFA: B1327:31-2F
ACM: U2100:00-0A, U0155:00-0A

Yes, Dielectric Grease is a no-no for high voltage contacts.
HVIL is low voltage, but is often in the same connector for high voltage. Gotta be tidy in there.
I wrote this response to another member who had that P0A0A code.
http://www.myfocuselectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=33687&hilit=p0a0a#p33687
If you did not find it, the trouble shooting section for P0A0A is at this path in the computer that you installed the service manual:
/2014_Focus%20Electric/Resources/Service_Manual/scag1523899.htm#G1523900P0.002313465600570941

Please also see this post:
http://www.myfocuselectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=32493&hilit=P0A0A#p32493

The TCM P1A0A is an immediate shut down code for the TCM. I would suspect when the P0A0A happened, this could have also happened.
The PCM P0AA0 is a postive contactor code. Might have been caused by the P0A0A code.
The PCM P2613 is a refrigerant control valve code.
The APIM B1215 is not listed. But I would not think it would cause an SSN or a SSN would invoke the APIM code.
The BodyCM B1D00 and B1D01 is that your headlight low beams are disconnected, burn out, or shorting to 12V.
The RFA B1327 is not listed. But i has something to do with the door locks, or locking the vehicle. Is the battery dead in the key fob?
The ACM U2100 is from a module not being programmed correctly. Did you have the modem upgrade performed recently?
The ACM U0155 is a loss of communication with the Instrument Panel Cluster.

Lower Battery Drain

Upper Battery Drain

Good Luck!

Thank you for the insight. are the connectors in question primarily the one to each battery? The Tyco Electronics C1822B connector that you reference appears to be the one at the driver's rear wheel well. This connector seems to be old and brittle and covered in road grit. Are these available were you to break one? I cleared the codes now have just the body and audio ones remaining. I didn't see any corrosion to speak of.

If you have corrosion at that connector, then you should also refer to the TSB-20-2004 bulletin.
https://dot.report/bulletins/10170911

There is no corrosion on my 2017 at the lower battery, but it is a california car where it never snows.
Still, I bought the spash shield described in the bulletin and installed it. The splash shield can be bought for about $10 from the dealer. Mine was $7.
Those connectors can be bought, but not in any easy way.

Also check the HV disconnect on the RH side of the lower battery, in the RH rear wheel well, it might have corrosion as well.

Also consider all of the high voltage connectors have HVIL sub connectors. And one of those might be causing your HVIL error. Such as the connectors going to the TCM, the batteries, the DCDC converter, the SOBDM (charger). If your car is a 2017 or 2018, the GFM2 has 3 high voltage connectors. The GFM2 is the big silver box next to the 12V battery.

Also, I do not think this connector has HVIL. but it would not hurt to check nevertheless:
http://www.myfocuselectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4862

Please, for your own safety. Disconnect the 12V battery positive lead, wait a couple of minutes, and then remove the HV disconnect from the back seat area. After that, you should be able to work on the high voltage connectors safely.

Thanks again for the information. I didn't think to disconnect the 12 volt. I haven't seen corrosion. I did look at the lower disconnect and the connections on the drivers rear of the lower battery. I only separated the larger connector, as I mentioned the plastic seems to be brittle and I didn't want to break anything. I drove it to work today 50 miles round trip with no issues.

Adding to this lengthy SSN thread.

I was able to trigger the SSN warning twice with P0A0A:08 code simply by pulling the rear interlock fuse out and re-insert. Big orange block behind the removable panel on the rear upper battery pack. Towed it to dealer twice and all they did was reset the DTCs. I'm looking to see if Forscan can clear the code so I don't need to tow the car to dealership for something so small.

Back