AT&T sunset and MyFordMobile app

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, that is the correct fuse. Strange to call it that. Its called the Telematics Control Unit for other years. See here:
https://fuse-box.info/ford/ford-focus-electric-2012-2018-fuses-and-relay

Lately I have been hunting a 880ma parasitic draw in my 2017 FFE 12 low voltage circuit. It has been trying to kill the battery every week that I do not drive it. Though I did not have a problem before, I got a hunch its that damn TCU. Will also need to pull F1 and see if the draw goes away.

Thank you!
We've pulled the fuse from the "Cellphone passport module", fuse F1, rating 5A, located in the Luggage Compartment Fuse Box.

So far, so good--I took our FFE out this morning, and all seemed fine. I was wondering if I'd lose any other capability if I pulled that fuse, but I didn't notice anything (for example, I am still able to use CarPlay, etc.)

I'll just bide my time til the elusive 4G modems get in stock... :roll:

Again, thanks for all the help! This FFE is back on the road :D

wind_driven said:
None of them seem to be listed as TCU or TCM, but there is a "Cellphone passport module", fuse F1, rating 5A, located in the Luggage Compartment Fuse Box, which sounds suspiciously like it might be the one? Could anyone verify whether it sounds like I've got the correct fuse to pull?

Yes, it's Fuse 1 (blue for 5V) in the back left of the trunk. The one lowest in the fuse box, iirc.

wind_driven said:
Thank you!
We've pulled the fuse from the "Cellphone passport module", fuse F1, rating 5A, located in the Luggage Compartment Fuse Box.

So far, so good--I took our FFE out this morning, and all seemed fine. I was wondering if I'd lose any other capability if I pulled that fuse, but I didn't notice anything (for example, I am still able to use CarPlay, etc.)

I'll just bide my time til the elusive 4G modems get in stock... :roll:

Again, thanks for all the help! This FFE is back on the road :D

Surprised you were still on the factory battery. They only tend to last 3.5 years at best. I put in a LiFePO4 12V battery to replace my 12V battery. It has a BMS that will disconnect the battery at 10V so if my TCU tries to kill the 12V battery again it won't. I also installed a low voltage disconnect meant for use on boats that cuts power to the TCU if battery voltage drops below 12.1 v. I actually had this first to protect the factory battery but pulling the lead battery down this much often isn't good for it. I've had the lithium battery for a year with no issues. In theory this 12V battery should outlive my FFE.

Regarding loss of features, you will lose "Go Times" and "Value Charge Times" by pulling the F1 fuse since for some reason these features depend on the TCU.

I like the go times but I can live without them if it's going to try and kill my 12V battery. For me the money isn't worth it for the TCU upgrade. Especially with no guarantee in how long it will be before 4G is turned off and the TCU becomes another expensive paperweight. Real glad I didn't spend $700 a couple years ago to replace the TCU when it started killing my 12V battery.

a4bry4 said:
It has been more than a month since the modem was updated in my '16 FFE and it still does not work. I have had an open case with Ford Pass for several weeks now with no resolution. So, even though I did not pay for the upgrade, I essentially ended the my ford mobile service two months earlier than it would have happened with the termination of the 3G service. I will update if and when I get a resolution.

Within the past week, the Ford Pass app now shows the Charge level percentage and estimated distance to empty. The app also alerts me when my FFE is fully charged. However, the remote functions (lock, unlock, and start) still are not working. On a positive note, a rep from Ford pass contacted me this week to inquire if I am still having issues and he assured me they are continuing to work on a resolution.

Registered for this forum just to post this:
I own a 2018 FFE. Got my modem ordered a day before the MFM shutdown (Around $380 or so) and got the upgrade done on March 1st. Activation prompt for FordPass showed up around March 4th. After activating, I confirmed I could Lock / Unlock / Start the car remotely. I am disappointed we don't have the notification settings we had with MFM, but oh well. The UI does look much nicer, and the car takes much less time to respond to remote commands.
One thing I do find strange is that I'm still able to access/edit GO Times and Charge Scheduling both through the FordPass app and through the Sync 3 Infotainment, which Ford explicitly said wouldn't be available until an OTA update this summer. I have not yet confirmed if they still work, though, but I've heard other people who got the update have a blank screen on their Charge Scheduling / Go Times in the infotainment, whereas I just have the normal screen from before the upgrade.

I had also heard of multiple people having issues with the upgrade, but other than the activation prompt showing up later than Ford said it would, I've had no problems.

Can those with the update post a screenshot? I'm missing charge level and range. Only have lock/unlock and remote start. Fordpass support said the modem isn't provisioned properly. I don't trust the dealership and would like to have something to show them. They kept the car for days for this and the service tech had terrible communication.

Alright. I finally got my LTE parts kit yesterday and hooked it up today.

Ford Pass lets me add the car by VIN but doesn't really show me anything indicating it's talking to the vehicle - no statuses whatsoever.

The modem is seen by the Sync head unit and reads out the serial number. I don't see any option for activating or connecting Sync even after a master reset.

Anyone have any ideas?

On mine I had to complete authorization for the modem. If you have Forscan, there's an authorization status indicator that will tell you whether it has been authorized. My 4G upgrade still is not fully functional. I have no charge status or range indicator, and only my wife or me can be authorized at a time. I'm going to take it back for an IDS update, but I can't tell if the issue is vehicle software, or something else with Fordpass. Some people have had success completing the authorization using the website below.

https://connectedcar-sdk.com/

It uses Ford API to push an authorization request through Sync and will show your current authorization status. I also posted on the Cyanlabs forum about my issues:

https://community.cyanlabs.net/t/tcu-hj5t-asbuilt-discussion/4759/42

I gave a call to FordPass support, told them I was sold the kit because my car had Sync3 like the others that are officially supported. They seemed willing to try and troubleshoot but the modem itself was not associated to my car. It seems the "programming" part of the setup is updating the records on the back end - I'm guessing the IDS stuff you mentioned.

I have an appt Wednesday morning to have them do that programming. After that, the system should hopefully recognize that I have a supported modem and start talking to the vehicle. I tried the API push you provided and there's no change. Which isn't surprising if Ford thinks my car still has a dead 3G modem installed.

Got the programming complete this morning. Took a while to actually prompt for activation on each end but it did while I was waiting to get through to a FordPass person. Took a while longer for data to start populating to the app like battery state and it's still not all there (no remote start, lock/unlock, charging doesn't seem to be updating usefully)

They advised it can be 24/48 hours for everything to get into a good state, so now I wait. But so far, LTE on a 2012 with the Sync3 upgrade is a qualified success. No idea if they have extended the availability of the modems in light of the back-order status before, but here's hoping for the sake of others that want to try.

Kool!
Glad you got it working. Gives hope to others who want that functionality, but Ford would not support.

As an aside, do we know for certain whether or not a Sync 3.0 unit updated to Sync 3.4 will work with the 4G modem?

Thanks

I honestly don't know - I'll check my SYNC unit version, don't know it off the top of my head.

Most of it still isn't working. I get location for the car and battery level, but no charge details, no remote lock/unlock or start. Still in the 48 hours though. I'll give them a call if it hasn't started working by tomorrow afternoon.

Anyone with a newer focus able to share the AsBuilt config for their TCU?

Been lurking this thread for a hot minute. I'm a C-Max owner myself, but can confirm Sync 3.4.x functions just fine with the new 4G TCU's. Mine's a 2013 (with a Sync 3 retrofit) which wasn't on the official upgrade CSP and shares a similar electrical architecture to the Focus so wouldn't surprise me that all would work fine with these early model years for you guys as well. Most of the issues seen so far are just Ford getting their backend/the FordPass app updated to work with the 'new' xEV functions that it never had before. Most functions seem to be working now thankfully.

Additionally, DIY'ing these upgrades is also possible and quite painless as long as you can find the appropriate TCU. We've documented a lot of the process over in the linked thread below:

https://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/11068-2014-2017-c-max-energi-3g-to-4g-modem-update/

Right now it seems only a limited set of 'used' TCU's are compatible in the following part #'s: 'HJ5T-14G087-**'. Those of us who have DIY'd this so far all seem to have gotten ours from 2017 Escape Titanium's. The official upgraded modems appear to just be these same parts just refurbished and an updated calibration. We've found the used ones will take the same updated calibration which is needed to enable the Go Time/Value Charge features.

My Sync is 3.0

At this point almost none of it works, let alone the EV specific stuff like Go Times. I can't even remote lock/unlock. :(

That is to say, the options display on the app - they simply fail when I try to use them.

Anti_Climax said:
My Sync is 3.0

At this point almost none of it works, let alone the EV specific stuff like Go Times. I can't even remote lock/unlock. :(

If you have access to ForScan and an appropriate OBD adapter, can you retrieve the AsBuilt from your TCU and post it? Might also be worth confirming what calibration it notes is on the TCU.

We've seen quite a number of cases where it seems the dealers miss a step or two and the likely culprit for none of those features working is a misconfigured AsBuilt. If this is the case, it is a super easy and quick fix.

Regarding what should be seen in the AsBuilt config and this should be tailored towards the Focus Electric:

754-01-01: B742-xx (B for Sync 3. Change to A if you are still on Sync 2)
754-02-01 1EA0-xx (some have had 00A0 here as well at least on the C-Max. Doesn't seem to make a functional difference. Nothing in these bits should change for the FE either)
754-03-01 -through- 754-03-08 all bits should be 7D so it should be a repeating 7D7D all the way. ForScan shows the checksum bits which are the last two bits on each block. These will never be 7D. Ignore them.
EXCEPTION to the above line: 754-03-06 should be set to 0078-7D7D-7D.

All of this has documentation on what each bit does on the CyanLabs AsBuilt page: https://cyanlabs.net/asbuilt-db/tcu-h-database/

This is what they put in. I already changed the A to B at the suggestion of the man that sold me the upgrade.
Code:
;Block 1
754G1G1A78286
;Block 2
754G2G100A0FE
;Block 3
754G3G17D7D7D7D7DD0
754G3G27D7D7D7D7DD1
754G3G37D7D7D7D7DD2
754G3G47D7D7D7D7DD3
754G3G57D7D7D7D7DD4
754G3G600787D7D7D53
754G3G77D7D7D7D7DD6
754G3G87D7D60
;Block 4
754G5G1000000781EF7
754G5G20277DB

Anti_Climax said:
This is what they put in. I already changed the A to B at the suggestion of the man that sold me the upgrade.
Code:
;Block 1
754G1G1A78286
;Block 2
754G2G100A0FE
;Block 3
754G3G17D7D7D7D7DD0
754G3G27D7D7D7D7DD1
754G3G37D7D7D7D7DD2
754G3G47D7D7D7D7DD3
754G3G57D7D7D7D7DD4
754G3G600787D7D7D53
754G3G77D7D7D7D7DD6
754G3G87D7D60
;Block 4
754G5G1000000781EF7
754G5G20277DB

You have 754-01-01 set for B782. Try changing to B742. The last two bits cover the vehicle electrical architecture. In this case 82 is setting it for C1MCA which I don't think is compatible with the Focus. We've had users report the same trying that on the C-Max. 42 sets it for CGEA 1.2 which should be compatible. Very likely this alone will solve all your issues as this specifically controls how it communicates with the vehicle. Everything else you posted looks correct.

I could kiss you.

Adding the car to the app again, it showed a tile for achievements that was not visible before.

Remote start/stop is working. Lock/Unlock are working, charge status seems to be updating better than it was but still not all the way there. Charge level notifications still don't seem to set (but wasn't that something that they know doesn't work for Focus EV yet?). Go times updated to SYNC though the app said they were failing to set. Another attempt showed them in the app.

My test trip actually logged to the EV driving log. The battery percentage was updating to the app fairly regularly during. The charge session still isn't filling out - I plugged in at about 91% SoC. It estimates I'll finish charging at 12:14AM on Tuesday February 15th (pretty sure that was my last L1 charge before pulling my old TCU and SYNC has been master reset a few times since. Not sure what's going on there)

I'm probably going to call and cancel the escalation and give this the weekend to "settle in" before I re-asses.

Thank you again, very much, for sharing this info.

EDIT: It really looks like it's just the charging data not getting through. Energy used also didn't populate to my logged trip - so it seems like something specific to that energy tracking aspect. Any ideas? Anyone have the AsBuilt for an official FFE TCU upgrade?

Anti_Climax said:
I could kiss you.

Adding the car to the app again, it showed a tile for achievements that was not visible before.

Remote start/stop is working. Lock/Unlock are working, charge status seems to be updating better than it was but still not all the way there. Charge level notifications still don't seem to set (but wasn't that something that they know doesn't work for Focus EV yet?). Go times updated to SYNC though the app said they were failing to set. Another attempt showed them in the app.

My test trip actually logged to the EV driving log. The battery percentage was updating to the app fairly regularly during. The charge session still isn't filling out - I plugged in at about 91% SoC. It estimates I'll finish charging at 12:14AM on Tuesday February 15th (pretty sure that was my last L1 charge before pulling my old TCU and SYNC has been master reset a few times since. Not sure what's going on there)

I'm probably going to call and cancel the escalation and give this the weekend to "settle in" before I re-asses.

Thank you again, very much, for sharing this info.

EDIT: It really looks like it's just the charging data not getting through. Energy used also didn't populate to my logged trip - so it seems like something specific to that energy tracking aspect. Any ideas? Anyone have the AsBuilt for an official FFE TCU upgrade?

Glad that got it working for you!

You should be all good to go now. There are no further changes you can make to the AsBuilt to improve things. Now it's up to Ford to start populating this stuff in FordPass on their end. Your car is sending the proper information.

All those '7D' bits I mentioned earlier are various data collection bits, 7D basically telling it to collect and report this information to Ford. All of those are set to do this so it's sending everything that's available. Likewise, the TCU already knows you have an electric only vehicle and the relevant parameters from that due to the 754-01-01 line set to B742 with the 7 specifically to indicate this.

I can tell you at least on my C-Max, one of the last remaining features not showing yet is the 'My EV Driving Data' feature under the Journeys tile in FordPass. This is where specifics about the trip and EV usage -should- be but nothing there yet and doesn't seem like it's functional yet for anyone else. Again, this is likely all going to be down to waiting on Ford to update things on their end and nothing that can be done for you as an owner and no further tweaking of the TCU is going to fix it. We've seen a lot of functions in the app come and go over the past month or so with no changes to our TCU's as Ford continues to work on this stuff.

There is a brand new calibration out for these now, though no clue what changes there are and if it will make much of a difference here. But I'm going to be doing that update on my C-Max and will definitely report if it makes any meaningful improvements or changes.

Back