MarkTurner
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:46 am

Re: AT&T sunset and MyFordMobile app

I see the TCU has a UART port. Anyone sniffed this for anything interesting?
Anti_Climax
Posts: 338
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 12:22 pm
Location: The Valley of the Sun

Re: AT&T sunset and MyFordMobile app

MarkTurner wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:34 am I don't understand - it's supposedly just a change in cellular networks. Why WOULDN'T a 4G modem work just as well as a 3G modem in my 2012 and 2013? I suspect my tech may have to "color outside the lines" a bit if I hope to keep my connectivity. Any coaching anyone can give me to pass along to him would be helpful.
It's not just a change in cell network. Ford gets to choose which vehicles can connect to which apps. It's entirely possible that your car could see the modem, make the connection and have the app go "That VIN? Never heard of it". But really it seems that there is something in the config of the existing modem that needs to get transferred over.

I believe it's an automated process that Ford set up BUT only enabled for supported model years. I was told they would not enable it without testing/validation and they would not commit resources to testing more model years.

My SYNC upgrade guy noted it should still be possible to do the copy manually, but that assumes the tech knows how to do that and is willing. I'll let you know if I get anything else.
2012 Candy Blue FFE
33.5kWh battery pack
CHAdeMO DC Fast Charging
Anti_Climax
Posts: 338
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 12:22 pm
Location: The Valley of the Sun

Re: AT&T sunset and MyFordMobile app

I heard back from the dealer and, apparently, the system substituted the 3G TCU on the order, because mine isn't on the official list. They didn't realize until they got it. I forwarded what I got from the customer support manager verbatim, because they are having trouble too. Hit them with this if you need to:
Anti_Climax wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:07 pm ******* Ford (or whatever dealer you want to work with) should be able to order the kit for you through the process that is provided in the 21B09 Customer Satisfaction Program Dealer Bulletin. I know you mentioned earlier they said they would need to call to get authorization, which is true for many of our programs like this, but for this one they can place an order without making a call. You can let them know that you spoke with the customer assistance center and they confirmed it should be possible to place the order through the 1878 system even if your vehicle is an earlier model year than listed in the program. If they say they run in to an issue while trying to complete the order let me know who you are working with at the dealer and I can have one of our teams engage directly with them to work through obtaining the kit for you.

Looks like the dealer may need the engineering part number from your current modem as part of the process to place the order, and they would need to return that original modem after your kit arrives, or would be charged a core charge in addition to the cost of the kit. I assume the dealer would not have an issue with you keeping the original modem if you are willing to also pay the core charge (I am not sure what that amount is, so the dealer would need to let you know).
2012 Candy Blue FFE
33.5kWh battery pack
CHAdeMO DC Fast Charging
alecvill
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:16 pm

Re: AT&T sunset and MyFordMobile app

Anti_Climax wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:06 pm
MarkTurner wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:34 am I don't understand - it's supposedly just a change in cellular networks. Why WOULDN'T a 4G modem work just as well as a 3G modem in my 2012 and 2013? I suspect my tech may have to "color outside the lines" a bit if I hope to keep my connectivity. Any coaching anyone can give me to pass along to him would be helpful.
It's not just a change in cell network. Ford gets to choose which vehicles can connect to which apps. It's entirely possible that your car could see the modem, make the connection and have the app go "That VIN? Never heard of it". But really it seems that there is something in the config of the existing modem that needs to get transferred over.

I believe it's an automated process that Ford set up BUT only enabled for supported model years. I was told they would not enable it without testing/validation and they would not commit resources to testing more model years.

My SYNC upgrade guy noted it should still be possible to do the copy manually, but that assumes the tech knows how to do that and is willing. I'll let you know if I get anything else.
Any luck on figuring out why this is? I ordered the modem at my dealer (Galpin), who installed it today after I paid for parts and labor. Just got the car back and everything seems fine, but of course now it doesn't connect to MFM or FordPass at all. It was the end of the day so the service rep said she would check with the technician next week. Unfortunately I only checked the forum after the fact and didn't ask them to save the old module. I worry they'll just toss it and nothing will be transferred over, leaving me with a useless upgrade.

As an aside, I plan to upgrade my 2013 FFE from Sync 2 to Sync 3 sometime this weekend. Already have the programmed APIM/screen/adapters, so I'll report back if that remedies anything.
acopiano
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:06 am

Re: AT&T sunset and MyFordMobile app

alecvill wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:07 pm
Anti_Climax wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:06 pm
MarkTurner wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:34 am I don't understand - it's supposedly just a change in cellular networks. Why WOULDN'T a 4G modem work just as well as a 3G modem in my 2012 and 2013? I suspect my tech may have to "color outside the lines" a bit if I hope to keep my connectivity. Any coaching anyone can give me to pass along to him would be helpful.

It's not just a change in cell network. Ford gets to choose which vehicles can connect to which apps. It's entirely possible that your car could see the modem, make the connection and have the app go "That VIN? Never heard of it". But really it seems that there is something in the config of the existing modem that needs to get transferred over.

I believe it's an automated process that Ford set up BUT only enabled for supported model years. I was told they would not enable it without testing/validation and they would not commit resources to testing more model years.

My SYNC upgrade guy noted it should still be possible to do the copy manually, but that assumes the tech knows how to do that and is willing. I'll let you know if I get anything else.
Any luck on figuring out why this is? I ordered the modem at my dealer (Galpin), who installed it today after I paid for parts and labor. Just got the car back and everything seems fine, but of course now it doesn't connect to MFM or FordPass at all. It was the end of the day so the service rep said she would check with the technician next week. Unfortunately I only checked the forum after the fact and didn't ask them to save the old module. I worry they'll just toss it and nothing will be transferred over, leaving me with a useless upgrade.

As an aside, I plan to upgrade my 2013 FFE from Sync 2 to Sync 3 sometime this weekend. Already have the programmed APIM/screen/adapters, so I'll report back if that remedies anything.

Do you happen to have Forscam so we can check your modem provision status ?

Also, do you mind if I ask you to share the part number and costs ?

Thanks.
2013 Silver Ford Focus Electric
space or -+_[] char
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:12 pm

Re: AT&T sunset and MyFordMobile app

MarkTurner wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:39 am I see the TCU has a UART port. Anyone sniffed this for anything interesting?
Heima's Post on the prior page of this forum at Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:24 pm has a link to the user manual, User-Manual-2224183.pdf, for the replacement TCU. On page 10 it shows connecting the unit to a pc and using a windows app called "TCU Control Tool" that lets you configure and test the unit. :roll:
MarkTurner
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:46 am

Re: AT&T sunset and MyFordMobile app

space or -+_[] char wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:31 am
MarkTurner wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:39 am I see the TCU has a UART port. Anyone sniffed this for anything interesting?
Heima's Post on the prior page of this forum at Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:24 pm has a link to the user manual, User-Manual-2224183.pdf, for the replacement TCU. On page 10 it shows connecting the unit to a pc and using a windows app called "TCU Control Tool" that lets you configure and test the unit. :roll:
Yes, thanks. I looked it over and note that it interfaces with the rest of the car via CAN bus. If this is the case, we should be able to replace it with something else that speaks CAN bus, like the Open Garages software. Still it might be fun to plug in a TTL reader and learn more about the TCU.
MarkTurner
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:46 am

Re: AT&T sunset and MyFordMobile app

Anti_Climax wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:06 pm
It's not just a change in cell network. Ford gets to choose which vehicles can connect to which apps. It's entirely possible that your car could see the modem, make the connection and have the app go "That VIN? Never heard of it". But really it seems that there is something in the config of the existing modem that needs to get transferred over.
My tech has opened a case with Corporate to get them to answer why older Fords are not supported. Perhaps if enough of us raise a stink Ford will reconsider? I mean, there goes any resale value of my Ford, right?
acopiano
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:06 am

Re: AT&T sunset and MyFordMobile app

MarkTurner wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:31 am
Anti_Climax wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:06 pm
It's not just a change in cell network. Ford gets to choose which vehicles can connect to which apps. It's entirely possible that your car could see the modem, make the connection and have the app go "That VIN? Never heard of it". But really it seems that there is something in the config of the existing modem that needs to get transferred over.
My tech has opened a case with Corporate to get them to answer why older Fords are not supported. Perhaps if enough of us raise a stink Ford will reconsider? I mean, there goes any resale value of my Ford, right?
I’ve done that couple months ago. Never get an answer. When I call, they simply say case was closed with no resolution. If Henry was alive, he would be very disappointed!
2013 Silver Ford Focus Electric
space or -+_[] char
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:12 pm

Re: AT&T sunset and MyFordMobile app

Hi All,

My car is a 2014 Focus EV with the SYNC 2 system. I’m trying to decide what would be the benefit of upgrading to 4g vs. upgrading the system to SYNC 3. I’m unclear about what features disappear when 3g turns off. Mostly when I’m out and about I like the idea that if I lock my key fob in the car that I could unlock it with my phone and not be stuck. I might like to schedule charging in the future but right now my area doesn’t have time of use rates for electricity, and I've heard that isn't in the new FordPass app yet.

I use the myFordMobile app to know when my battery is charged and to remote start the car in the driveway from my house. I can use the fob to remote start from within the hose, and the car is on my home wifi so maybe I can check the charge that way although I know they are retiring the myFordMobile app. I did download the FordPass app for android and I don’t see a way to remote start or check battery level or anything else related to the electric system.

I think upgrading the system to SYNC 3 might be more beneficial because then I would be using Apple Carplay or Android Auto which would use the phone’s cellular for navigation and whatever else those apps do. It seems like both upgrades would cost about the same, but I could do the SYNC 3 upgrade myself. Somewhere I read that the TCU is a battery suck so I could just disconnect it if I’m not going to 3g. Also, I don’t know if I will have to pay monthly for a plan for 4g or if that is free if I don’t plan on using the hotspot feature. Any comments would be helpful.

Thanks!

Return to “Technical Discussions”