triangles

Re: HV Battery Issues - Out of Warranty

Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:48 am

Heima wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:49 pm
I call BS on behalf of the dealer. Coolant corroding terminals. Not likely.
If there was coolant in the battery, they could tell you how much drained out when they checked it.
To anyone who dismantled their battery because of coolant leaking, did you find the source of the leak?
Was the coolant leak at a pipe/hose fitting, along the length of a pipe or hose, at the junction of the pipe/hose and coolant panel, or somewhere on the coolant panel?
The only way I can image a coolant leak happening is from some idiot positively pressurizing the cooling system, to check for leaks.
However, I have seen micro pores in aluminum, that might cause a leak on a coolant panel, but I really doubt that was the cause.
From what I have read about people with coolant in batteries. It is the cells that swell. This expansions pulls apart the connector of the coolant lines inside the battery causing the leak. I have no first hand experience so take this for what it is worth. Also if they told me it was coolant and my coolant reservoir was low/empty I wouldn't doubt that the missing coolant was in the battery.
2014 Blue Candy FFE
http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/focus/2014/triangles/303811 (since this forum doesn't allow BBcode in sigs)

Anti_Climax

Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:35 pm

If the cells are swelling the leak is a symptom of another problem and, at minimum, the pack would need to be remanufactured. I can see why they'd push for an assembly swap especially if it's likely to re-occur.
2012 Candy Blue FFE
33.5kWh battery pack
CHAdeMO DC Fast Charging

TDS-03

Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:18 am

Heima wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:49 pm
So lets say that there is a leak in the battery enclosure, for example, the connectors and corrosion I spoke of above. Why can't one loosen the connectors from the battery, open the drain plugs, and run some air through the enclosure to dry it out? Then close the drain plugs, put the connectors back in, seal them very well with RTV, silicone, or that tar stuff mentioned in the above bulletin, and be done with it? Maybe toss some silica gel into the battery to further dry it out.
Having just pulled the cover off my battery pack, this is a lot of work. Getting it out and just opening the cover is hard, its VERY well sealed, lots of bolts and RTV sealing everything in. Getting any airflow without disassembly will be hard if not impossible. Plus you could have pockets of coolant stuck in between somewhere. Not saying that would never work, but I think it would have to be a very isolated leak and not much quantity of coolant for that plan to be effective long term. Then there is the issue of the leak itself...

Ford wants these cars to die and be forgotten. We have to remember these were compliance cars at best. They are very low production and barely even marketed. They have zero interest in actually helping us keep these going. Its my belief that the local dealer here just kept holding the car and offering expensive "fixes" to everything except the battery so I would run past the warranty date.

Return to “Technical Discussions”