Covering up bottom grille

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seethatdotca

The bottom grille has some vents. There is a radiator behind it that I assume is for the A/C. Does anybody know for sure if covering up the grille would cause any issues?

Probably won't break anything but it will reduce airflow so any cooling would not work as well. The bottom is mostly covered.

We tend to think that the electric motor won't put out much heat but it can get toasty. The cooling system even has a mode where it will route warm engine coolant into the battery loop so it doesn't need to run the battery heater, if that would otherwise be necessary.

I do this every fall, I do it to keep as much salt out as possible. I suppose it helps aero a bit in theory. Never had any issues with anything getting hot. It was up into the upper 80's this past spring before I took it off. There's very little heat that needs to be dissipated. I'd imagine it's only necessary for extreme heat or for running the AC.

Back