Cheap L2 chargers on ebay

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Ive been browsing around looking at different L2 chargers for my FFE. On ebay I keep seeing these fairly cheap chargers that claim to be L2. But they look exactly like the L1 chargers with a different plug installed. In fact it looks as though they chopped off the 120v plug and installed a generic 240v plug. Here is a link to one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-EVSE-Electric-Vehicle-Charger-EV-Level-2-220Volt16A-for-Leaf-Fiat-500E-/172861219618?hash=item283f54e322:g:thIAAOSw9LxZtiTY&vxp=mtr

I know that people have modified L1 chargers from the chevy volt and such in this manner to get L2 charging. Does it seem like thats what the ebay guys are doing? Taking cheap L1 chargers and switching out the plug? Does this seem ok to anyone?

The design of that one looks like the Duosida charger, which is reportedly a L2 240V/16A model. It's probably a knockoff of that. https://www.evgadgets.com/duosida-portable-electric-vehicle-charger-review-buyers-guide/

spirilis said:
The design of that one looks like the Duosida charger, which is reportedly a L2 240V/16A model. It's probably a knockoff of that. https://www.evgadgets.com/duosida-portable-electric-vehicle-charger-review-buyers-guide/

Yes, thats the one it looks like. So, that will charge my car twice as fast as the stock ford evse?

Carbuff said:
spirilis said:

Yes, thats the one it looks like. So, that will charge my car twice as fast as the stock ford evse?

It should charge about 2.7 X faster. Stock L1: 120V x 12A = 1440 Watts, Duosida L2: 240V x 16A = 3840 Watts

This might still limit the amount of cabin pre-conditioning you can do from grid electricity (heater can draw over 5kw) but has the advantage of being quite portable.

amped said:
Carbuff said:
spirilis said:

It should charge about 2.7 X faster. Stock L1: 120V x 12A = 1440 Watts, Duosida L2: 240V x 16A = 3840 Watts

This might still limit the amount of cabin pre-conditioning you can do from grid electricity (heater can draw over 5kw) but has the advantage of being quite portable.

Excellent, this might be just what I need then. Its good also as Im limited to 30 amp service to the plug.

Read this article before you buy anything off of eBay or Amazon.

https://chargedevs.com/features/amazon-evse-safety/

Here's how I look at it. Save $100 or $200 on a cheap charger. It might catch on fire. Burn down your garage, house, or car. There isn't a lot of savings there. There is a lot of current - power - running through that wire. And your car will charge at night when you won't be around to monitor if the wires are getting too hot.

I would walk far far away from any of those devices you found on eBay.

True, that could be a concern, especially if you can't even tell if the individual components are UL listed. Although eBay doesn't necessarily equal junk - you can find UL listed EVSEs on eBay.

Something similar to the Duosida that is apparently UL listed: https://www.amazon.com/AmazingE-Portable-Electric-Equipment-Connector/dp/B06XSLYDLH/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1507013149&sr=8-1&keywords=AmazingE

http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/template/LISEXT/1FRAME/showpage.html?name=FFWA.E346031&ccnshorttitle=Electric+Vehicle+Supply+Equipment&objid=1084438288&cfgid=1073741824&version=versionless&parent_id=1073986568&sequence=1

Another relatively affordable option is the GE DuraStation: http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-EV-Charger-Indoor-Outdoor-Level-2-DuraStation-Wall-Mount-with-18-ft-Cord-EVDSWGH-CP01/205808537?keyword=durastation

It has jumpers on the control board to reduce the max current (30A, 24A, 16A IIRC), if necessary.

If you're set on 16A, a ClipperCreek LCS-20 would be a solid choice: https://store.clippercreek.com/all-products/lcs-20-lcs-20p-16-amp-level-2-ev-charging-station

I have a ClipperCreek LCS-20P that I've been using for quite some time now. It lives in the car so I can get a charge at any 240V plug (been mostly using it with the C-Max at campgrounds..works like a charm).

jmueller065 said:
I have a ClipperCreek LCS-20P that I've been using for quite some time now. It lives in the car so I can get a charge at any 240V plug (been mostly using it with the C-Max at campgrounds..works like a charm).
Which plug does it use? Do you have any personal thoughts on what 240V plug to "standardize" on (since you can build umpteen numbers of adapters, the Tesla folks standardized on 14-50 but that's such a bulky connector IMO)

spirilis said:
jmueller065 said:
Which plug does it use? Do you have any personal thoughts on what 240V plug to "standardize" on (since you can build umpteen numbers of adapters, the Tesla folks standardized on 14-50 but that's such a bulky connector IMO)

I have a 14-50 adapter for the LCS-20P as the 50 amp RV connector is a 14-50 plug.

My LCS-20P came with an L6-30 plug.

So far those are the only two I've had to use (I have other EVSE's for use at home: A Juicebox, and a Bosch one).

Well, I finally got my L2 setup up and working. I ended up with the ebay knockoff. I had some ebay bucks so it ended up costing $150. I just installed the 240v outlet today. Around 15" of 10/3 from the 30 amp breaker to the 16-20 outlet in the weatherproof box that allows it to be closed when its plugged in I didnt need the 3rd wire but I figured Id have it for future upgrades. I plugged it in and all the proper lights went on and its charging. The wire from the unit to the car plug is much thicker than the 120v one that comes with the car. I also have an adapter that converts the 16-20 to the standard 120v outlet if needed. Its good to know that I can charge the car fully in a couple of hours ( I havent run it down past 30 miles yet). I have to install a dedicated 120v outlet at my job that is right by my parking space. The super heavy duty extension cord Ive been using has been getting much too hot where the evse plugs into it. The rest of the wire is cold, just at the plug. I might cut off the molded plug on it and install a heavy duty plug and see if that solves the problem. If that works Im just gonna install a pole in the ground with a hook for the the evse and zip tie the end of the extension cord to it. we will see.

Carbuff said:
Well, I finally got my L2 setup up and working. I ended up with the ebay knockoff. I had some ebay bucks so it ended up costing $150. I just installed the 240v outlet today. Around 15" of 10/3 from the 30 amp breaker to the 16-20 outlet in the weatherproof box that allows it to be closed when its plugged in I didnt need the 3rd wire but I figured Id have it for future upgrades. I plugged it in and all the proper lights went on and its charging. The wire from the unit to the car plug is much thicker than the 120v one that comes with the car. I also have an adapter that converts the 16-20 to the standard 120v outlet if needed. Its good to know that I can charge the car fully in a couple of hours ( I havent run it down past 30 miles yet). I have to install a dedicated 120v outlet at my job that is right by my parking space. The super heavy duty extension cord Ive been using has been getting much too hot where the evse plugs into it. The rest of the wire is cold, just at the plug. I might cut off the molded plug on it and install a heavy duty plug and see if that solves the problem. If that works Im just gonna install a pole in the ground with a hook for the the evse and zip tie the end of the extension cord to it. we will see.
Sorry, I didn't follow 100% what you're doing with the 120V side. If you are using the old 120V charger, why would you use a J1772 extension cord, and not a standard 120V extension cord? The great big yellow one on Amazon works fantastic with absolutely no heat problems.

EVA said:
Carbuff said:
Sorry, I didn't follow 100% what you're doing with the 120V side. If you are using the old 120V charger, why would you use a J1772 extension cord, and not a standard 120V extension cord? The great big yellow one on Amazon works fantastic with absolutely no heat problems.

Sorry it wasnt clear. Yes it was a heavy duty 120v extension cord. I think the molded female plug end is just dirty or not making good contact. It was outside for a season being used for something else. Im gonna try a good plug end and see if the heat persists. No heat at all on the other end where it pugs into the gfci outlet on the other side of the building.

Carbuff said:

Are you sure this thing has dual-voltage capability? If so, it will most likely still draw 16 amps and require a 20 amp/120v circuit/outlet.

amped said:
Carbuff said:

Are you sure this thing has dual-voltage capability? If so, it will most likely still draw 16 amps and require a 20 amp/120v circuit/outlet.

Yes it is rated for both voltages. At least it says it is on the unit. Its a knockoff of the duosida and the specs were all the same. They are probably even made in the same factory. I will probably use the stock ford unit for charging at work off of the 120v outlet.

So with the new l2 charger I was able to add 40 miles in around 3 hours. It went from 34 miles to 73 (full). This was strictly a ballpark figure as I checked out my window as to when the ring around the charge port went out. Assuming that means its fully charged, the light went out some time around 3 hours give or take 15 minutes. I checked on it on the 1/2 hour after the 1st 2 hours. So, Im figuring 5-6 hours for a full charge from empty. Sure beats 16-20 hours. I also installed my 120v outlet at work today. I put a hook on it to hang the evse on. The whole thing can be covered with a 10 gallon plastic bucket for snow and rain charging. Sounds a bit ghetto but its really pretty slick.

150$ for an ebay knockoff... sounds a bit too much to me tbh. I got an authentic one last year for only 200$. Of course, there's no way you could buy something like that for that price so I had to order from China and the seller sent it through china post ems tracking. I'm not worrying about being scammed since the seller also took a picture of his certificate that prooves that he's an authorized seller. Either way, I'm glad that everything worked out for you.

Back