2017 FFE Charge Settings Stuck on "Unlock" Charge Cord

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohninToronto

Hi everyone,
We're having a charging issue. The charge settings on our 2017 FFE seem to be stuck on "unlock." When we start the car and shut it down, we get a "Unlocking charge cord" message. As a result, the car doesn't seem to start charging immediately when we plug it in (even though it's on the "Charge Now" setting). For now, we're attempting to get around this by plugging in, hitting the unlock charge cord button by the stick shift, removing the plug and then re-inserting it. This seems to be working so far, but obviously we shouldn't have to do this. Is there something we can do to fix it, or is it a job for the dealer? Someone suggested temporarily disconnecting the 12V battery to reset settings, but I'm not sure how to do this. Could it be a sign that the 12V battery needs to be replaced? Thanks very much!

I’m not sure exactly how to fix it, but I agree that you should start by disconnecting and reconnecting the12v battery.

Search the internet for “12v car battery replacement”. But, instead of replacing the battery, you only need to disconnect either the negative or positive terminal for a minutes or two. Then reconnect. This should reset the FFE and hopefully solve your problem.

Thanks so much, aweful! I'll give that a try. It may be the original 12V battery, so it might be coming to the end of its life anyway. All the best!

Back