Where is OBD-II connector (if any)

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
michael said:
Oh, perfect....so it's released now as a standard product? My understanding was they needed to make some hardware change at the connector as well but perhaps I'm mistaken on that part.

If you can program a standard one to do this, I highly recommend doing so.
What protocol does your version use to communicate with the car? My ScanGauge didn't connect when I briefly connected in. I have not tried my tablet with Torque Pro yet.

Dang- I've been following this discussion hoping that I was missing something - my OBDLink-MX doesn't connect either.

SCAN GAUGE has a special unit made just for any FORD plugin. It can read about 20 parameters from real SOC charge capacity, tire pressure of each tire and battery temp to name a few. If you call them ask for James who made this special unit. Same price as any of their units about $170

Linear Logic, LLC SCAN GAUGE
Mesa, Arizona
2222 S. Dobson Rd Suite 800
Mesa, Arizona 85202
Phone: 480-656-4089 Fax: 480-656-4418

I have an early ScanGauge for the FFE. The HBC (High voltage Battery Current) reads about half of the real value. Did that ever get fixed?

There's also a bug in the battery voltage in the very early units....above 327 it starts counting down. Jim is aware of that and it's probably fixed as well.

You shouldn't need a special unit. Just a different cable and XGauge codes. I already have all the XGauge codes, I just need the EV cable which uses different pins of the OBDII port. I emailed James months ago as I had helped him determine which XGauge codes would work for the FFH. He has not replied to my question about the EV compatibility.

And, ScanGauges don't cost $170. You can get them for just over $100 from Autozone or other stores on sale.

So any ScanGauge can be reprogrammed by the user to read anything the vehicle has on the bus once you know the code and the math.

Any ideas on how I would correct the math on my HBC and HBV readings?

Thanks!

JimB_FFE said:
So any ScanGauge can be reprogrammed by the user to read anything the vehicle has on the bus once you know the code and the math.

Any ideas on how I would correct the math on my HBC and HBV readings?

Thanks!
I just changed the XGauge coding that James had provided me to fix the values.

This page helps you understand how the ScanGauge formulas work: http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/230795-guide-converting-scangauge-codes-torque-pro/

I'm not sure about volts. Are you able to access the coding that's used to display that value?

From the research I've done the issue with EVs and devices like the ScanGauge is that EVs are different than ICEs which means that they make use of different pins of the OBDII connector. But unless the ScanGauge knows to look for data on those pins and/or has a cable that reads those pins in the connector you won't get a connection. That's why my ScanGauge just says "connecting" but never connects to the FFE.

I haven't done much testing with Torque Pro but I suspect that it's the same.

The final test will be FORScan.

hybridbear said:
You shouldn't need a special unit. Just a different cable and XGauge codes. I already have all the XGauge codes, I just need the EV cable which uses different pins of the OBDII port. I emailed James months ago as I had helped him determine which XGauge codes would work for the FFH. He has not replied to my question about the EV compatibility.
Were you ever able to get the special cable (I already own a ScanGauge II)? Does ScanGauge sell it? Or, did you just order one from Ford, Summit, Jegs, etc.?

studio460 said:
hybridbear said:
Were you ever able to get the special cable (I already own a ScanGauge II)? Does ScanGauge sell it? Or, did you just order one from Ford, Summit, Jegs, etc.?
I have not received a reply from James DeLong yet.

Success!!!
Tried Torque with an inexpensive ELM327: Torque wouldn't connect to the car.
Bought more expensive OBDLink-MX : Torque wouldn't connect; OBDWiz & OBDLink App couldn't find the ECU protocol

I grew discouraged and left the other option that I'd found (FORScan.org) sitting in my download folder. Finally today (after making a couple of discouraging trips to my dealer), I installed the software, plugged in the MX and Voila!

A couple of quick comments:
-It's Windows based (but I had a bluetooth adapter handy); they apparently have an IOS beta and plan (with 2.0 release) to do Android.
- It's not particularly pretty (no fancy dial gauges) but looks surprisingly similar to Ford's IDS.
- The PIDs are embedded; no customization possible (for now); but bunches and bunches of PIDs all labeled with Ford's terminology (eg what ScanGauge refers to as Energy to Empty is labeled BAT_TO_EMPTY_ESTIM which is what the IDS uses, making discussions with Ford technicians a bit simpler).

I already owned an OBDLink MX before buying the car but could not get it to connect with their app. The FORScan app did work and I just found it here because of this thread. The reports it generates are way beyond what I would have expected to see. It reports trouble codes for every single module on the vehicle. The generic scan tools you find just stick to the OBDII relevant modules typically (Engine controller, Transmission controller and Fuel pump module if it has one). The report the tool made was the same for both ports. The demo mode worked for this but I immediately bought the lite version once I saw the detail in the app. Great tool. Must have for anyone with one of these cars who is remotely tech savvy or interested in working on their own cars.

Here's an example of the report it made for my car:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-5K9VTqegFQd3dSYVdVTEoyREtpd3htbmhJZGRjVThPVEdn/view?usp

So 7 years later, my second FFE refuses to have heat. And I can’t get an ODB scanner to return anything. My BT scanner causes a SSN when it tries to negotiate to the odb on the EV plug. A google search lead me back here where I posted almost 8 years ago..
any luck? I hate the idea of paying the dealer $180 to find out it’s a blend door actuator. Worst case I end up with a new hv battery again.

OBDLink introduced their EX model recently. It is a corded OBD interface specifically for Forscan with automatic dual CAN bus speed switching. Beats remembering to flip a switch on the other maker's interfaces.
Amazon had them for $33 at black friday time, seems they are $49 now. It has a usb interface, not bluetooth or wifi, so it is a more reliable connection, albeit you are still tethered to the vehicle.
Thats a lot of money compared to other obd interfaces, but OBDLink tends to make some good products which are supported with regular firmware updates. I have the EX, the LX and the MX+. The MX+ was working fine for me, but when I would switch to a different laptop, it took some finagling to get it communicating with the laptop's bluetooth drivers. The EX did not have this problem, actually, just plug it in. If it wasn't recognized, unplug and then plug in a second time. Then and there after it was recognized.
Oh, EX is only for laptops because of the USB connection.

Back