How are mice getting into my 2018 Focus Electric

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fat Focus

I found a dead mouse in the trunk on Monday, freshly dead. Now I'm smelling another dead one in the car. I looked under the seats with a flashlight and didn't find it. Two questions, how are they getting in? And where is the one that is rotting in my car?!?!

There is a very good chance the other one is in the HVAC system or vents somewhere. Possibly the fan assembly.
A past Subaru Legacy and Chevy Metro had mouse nests in the HVAC squirrel cage fan. There's irony for you.

Also bad is that the little @#$% probably left droppings in the HVAC system as well. Can you say "Junta Virus"?
A good strong vacuum at the floor ducts might be able to pull out a carcass and droppings. For the fan, you will have to remove it.

Mice can get in by climbing from the inside of the wheel up the suspension in to the engine bay, and from there, up to the top of the firewall, over, and into the HVAC intake plenum. The lip of the plenum is raised, so to prevent rain water from flooding in. But the dumb mice climb over the lip, fall a little over a foot to the fan assembly and then work their way through the blades and into the HVAC system.

If you have a cabin air filter, they would have had to chew through that. Check it for holes/tearing. If you got holes, thats how the little @#$% got in.

Auto part stores might have an aerosol disinfectant to de-germ the HVAC system. Lysol perhaps?

Thanks. Funny you mention the HVAC. The HVAC has had a problem since last summer where if you press the max defrost button the whole dash seems to act like a giant woofer playing some feedback on high volume! Since I did not smell a thing at the time, I didn't worry too much about it. Since I couldn't find the mouse, I took it to the Ford Dealer to diagnose the issue with the HVAC. If they say a mouse did it, I'll go from there. I'm hoping they find a mouse separately and deal with that. My good buddy is the service advisor, so I've got that going for me.

Very funny story. It is important not to seat on one of them once :D To be honest I don't remember hearing about such a situation before. It is a little strange if we speak seriously. Maybe you are living near a "mice house" hehe. But I think that you have to check your car, if it is based on the electric you can have problems because of the mice. They can eat the cables and it is dangerous for you. I know a person who had an accident because of the mice. Maybe you have to buy a new subaru that will give you more save from the your little friends. And now you have the chance to buy a new car at the best price ever. So think about this.

Perhaps the animals are lured by the remnants of food that were once left in your car. These can be ordinary crumbs or sweetness that you recently lost in your car. I had a similar situation because of which the rodents practically filled my car, and the smell that came from the dead bodies just killed my sense of smell. But luckily I was able to fix this problem when I bought myself a new flashlight that shines long distances and I was able to see a few chocolates under the seat. Now the situation seems to have improved a lot, but still, the smell of rodents sometimes appears in my car, I think I will give it a completely dry cleaning.

Wow! We also had a problem with mice, recently my wife and I went on a business trip for work and returned home to find that the Smart Home does not work. We called the master, and when he checked the automation, it turned out that the mice were bred in the walls of our old house and chewed through the wires. I'm just terrified.

Back