Blind Spot Monitor Function

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I realize that the FFE never had a Blind Spot Monitor available, but I'm thinking ahead to the Mach E and other EVs that Ford is working on here.

Besides my Focus, our other car is a Mazda CX-5. When there is a car in your blind spot and you use the turn signal for that side, a chime sounds in addition to the little light on the mirror flashing. After renting a Fusion, I discovered that Ford does not even give you the option of having the car make a chime when it might not be safe to change lanes. On the Mazda, you can turn it off if you find it annoying.

This seems ridiculous to me, as I personally find the chime to be the most useful part of the system, making it possible for me in heavy traffic to focus on the car in front of me while instantly knowing whether I should even bother to look over my shoulder to verify if the next lane is clear. It would be such a simple software fix, I'm hoping they can add it to the Mach E before it goes on sale.

IMO, it's foolish to not look in your mirror before changing lanes. What if someone is doing 30 or 40 MPH faster than you and you blindly change lanes?

Fat Focus said:
IMO, it's foolish to not look in your mirror before changing lanes. What if someone is doing 30 or 40 MPH faster than you and you blindly change lanes?

Agreed, however Ford's implementation is a VERY tiny light that you're supposed to see in a quick hurry.

I much prefer the light AND warning sound that pretty much EVERY other car maker has adopted.

The Mach-E is going to have Ford's Copilot 360 v2 which includes a ton of stuff, more than just simple blind-spot monitoring.

https://www.ford.com/suvs/mach-e/2021/?gnav=header-all-vehicles

• Pre-Collision Assist with Automatic Emergency Braking
  • BLIS with Cross-Traffic Alert
  • Lane-Keeping System
  • Rear View Camera
  • Auto High Beams
  • Reverse Brake Assist
  • Post-Collision Braking
  • Reverse Sensing System
  • Intelligent Adaptive Cruise Control
  • Evasive Steering Assist
  • Navigation
  • Active Park Assist 2.0
  • 360-Degree Camera

My Bolt also has the light in the mirrors blind-spot monitoring. I find that it works out well: You're going to be looking in the mirrors anyway so it is the logical place to put the alert.

Back