Instantly improve “range” after purchasing a used FFE

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NWFocus

I am new to EV’s and surfing around trying to soak up as much information I can find and thought this may be useful to other new owners.

When I purchased my 2014 FFE with 20,130 miles almost 2 months ago, The dealer explained that the car had a “range” of 76 miles. I brought it home, plugged in the level 1 charger, and was horrified the next morning that my “range” showed 42 miles... I almost took the car back to the dealer under the 72 hour return policy.

I started reading forums about capacity, battery age and degradation that all worried me even more... started looking at the cost of replacement batteries and upgrades.. Not an option... then while looking at the MyFord app I noticed under “Key personalization” that there were dozens of short trips listed in the history that I assume were from Dealership employees and customers test driving.. probably that drove out of the dealership and directly onto the freeway and floored it.

Key personalization has a note at the top that says “Driving style and range information will be based solely on trips using this key”

I deleted all of those trips registered to the primary key, went for a drive, charged it back up overnight, and boom my range was in the 70’s!

Anyway I hope this easy fix will help other new EV owners that run into the same Range shock that I did. With all of the technical information out there this a really easy and quick fix.. when the primary key history in key personalization is the issue.

Didn't really have to do all that. You'll quickly learn that the "range" as displayed is highly variable on the FFE. With about two charge cycles it would have reverted to whatever your driving habits are.

There is a reason the range display is termed the "guess-o-meter".

In fact you can even watch it change: Drive on the highway for a bit and you'll notice it drop--fast. Then drive 10-20 miles down a 35mph road and you'll see it increase as you drive.

When I first took an FFE for a test drive, even that first short drive showed how variable the guess-o-meter is: it rose the entire 10 mile drive.

I understand that it would have eventually cleared itself up, but Like I said in the post, you get instant results. With a 72 hour return window expiring in 48 hours at the point of my first charge being completed, it definitely helped me.

Back