using "L" to brake

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadMatt

** i tried searching but didn't see a lot about this**

So i'm soon to be a 2017 FFE owner ( my order is a couple weeks away).

Working at a Ford Dealer i've had plenty opportunity to drive used FFEs and Energi CMAXs.

i always end up finding myself switching the shifter to the L positions when approaching red lights/stop signs and only touching the brake pedal to slow the car from 5-10kph to 0.

2 questions,

when first touching the brake pedal, does this have the same effect as switching to L? meaning does the electric motor first inscrease its regen resistance and only engage the physical brakes when you press that pedal down harder?

2nd, Is switching to low all the time gonna hurt anything in the car over the next 3-4 years?

thx!

MadMatt said:
** i tried searching but didn't see a lot about this**

So i'm soon to be a 2017 FFE owner ( my order is a couple weeks away).

Working at a Ford Dealer i've had plenty opportunity to drive used FFEs and Energi CMAXs.

i always end up finding myself switching the shifter to the L positions when approaching red lights/stop signs and only touching the brake pedal to slow the car from 5-10kph to 0.

2 questions,

when first touching the brake pedal, does this have the same effect as switching to L? meaning does the electric motor first inscrease its regen resistance and only engage the physical brakes when you press that pedal down harder?

Yes. Regen engages first and is ramped up as you depress the pedal. Shifting to L basically just increases the default starting level of regen (i.e. with foot off the go pedal). It's useful for driving down mountains (or doing "one pedal" operation, which some prefer).

2nd, Is switching to low all the time gonna hurt anything in the car over the next 3-4 years?

I seriously doubt it - maybe some extra wear on the shifter. However, if you're planning to ALWAYS use L during breaking, just drive in L all the time. It doesn't actually shift gears (1-spd transmission) or do anything else to affect vehicle operation other than fiddle with the regen.

Switching to L and lightly pressing the brake have similar effects.

It will not hurt the car at all. The FFE only has one gear ratio.

I prefer using light brake pedal over switching to L. You should try both and choose for yourself.

In my experience I can only be more efficient on leaving it in L on one of my usual routes. All my other routes it is less efficient. It is a round trip that is 2.5 miles uphill then 2.5 downhill.

FFEsquared said:
Switching to L and lightly pressing the brake have similar effects.

It will not hurt the car at all. The FFE only has one gear ratio.

I prefer using light brake pedal over switching to L. You should try both and choose for yourself.

Agreed. It just depends on my mood and the flow of traffic at the time. If traffic is pretty bad, I just use L as it's easier to just modulate the acceleration pedal, instead of going back and forth between it and the brake.

At higher speeds, it can be a little too touchy though, and more of a hinderance. Also, in traffic situations where it's causing you to have to keep accelerating back up to speed, vs. just coasting, it's less efficient than just having it in D.

I have had my 2013 Ford Focus since January 2016. I have put on well over 15,000 miles on it. I regularly use "L" to increase regen when approaching a red light for instance. I can feel the "braking" effect of the higher regen level as soon as I move the "gear shifter" to the "L" position. As to the brakes....they are always "touchy"....they work very good and you have to be careful not to step too much on the pedal, or its an abrupt stop. But I do not have to touch the brakes to get the higher regen level. I do not feel any difference in the pedal pressure required in braking when in the "L" position.

The most annoyance is two things. One trying to find information I want on the Ford website..... and the fact that my phone and car disconnect themselves repeatedly when I walk away from the car. Then I have to go through the SYNC process with my phone frequently. Its a new LG5 smart phone...but its pretty damn dumb if you ask me!!

As to the Ford website: PLEASE tell me where to get the download so I can access my vehicle from my home computer just like I can on my phone. I had that website functionality before but I can't find the access now. Can anyone help me with that????

Thanks!

Don

Not sure what you're describing with your phone disconnecting from your car. It should only be connected to SYNC while you're in your car with the car one. When you restart it, it should reconnect if you've got it paired properly. Might want to delete the pairing of your phone in SYNC as well as your car and vice versa in your phone and re-pair it. Otherwise make sure SYNC is up to the latest level at www.syncmyride.com

As far as the MyFord Mobile on your pc, there's no download, just a website. www.myfordmobile.com

Back