Two electrics in the house

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like your placement of the HOV sticker. It looks like there's just room for it next to the wiper's swath.

I was thinking of getting a sheet of "fridge magnet" material to cut when I get mine, but maybe I'll just copy what you did. I just can't stand the idea of putting stickers onto a painted surface!

ghiebert said:
I like your placement of the HOV sticker. It looks like there's just room for it next to the wiper's swath.

I was thinking of getting a sheet of "fridge magnet" material to cut when I get mine, but maybe I'll just copy what you did. I just can't stand the idea of putting stickers onto a painted surface!

Yes, it just missed the wiper path, not on paint, and is not visible in rear view mirror because of rear headrest.

Chris
Vancouver BC

ghiebert said:

I too hate the fact of putting a sticker on the car. Your magnet idea is exactly the idea i got about 30 mins after placing the sticker on my car! ugh... Figured I would slap it on the back when i actually would be traveling where HOV lane exists...

I contacted dmv with regards to following places like Ontario that actually implemented an EV license plate as this makes way more sense to me... also due to the fact its unique and on both the front and the back in BC. I have been stopped by the HOV police a few times and every time they don't believe its an electric car and then have to go to the back to see the sticker which still isn't satisfying so they always want to see the charge port. (I assume people already fake these stickers??) The response was they have no plans to implement license plates (fail)

Anyways before i put the sticker on my car i put a piece of tape and tried it in all different spots.... i ended up putting it on the black bumper on the bottom right where its roughly the same size as the strip going across. If that makes sense... i could take a pic.

damania said:
are there differences in handling, driving, etc?

No difference in handling at all.
Although the 2017 is noticeably quieter than the 2013.

Haven't quick charged yet nor went any appreciable distance with the 2017.
Will try and do a video if I do a quick charge trip.

Cheers

Chris

sonny917 said:
Nice cars you got there.

Thank you.
Although I'm actively looking to switch the 2013 for a 2015/16 S 85D
Would like to do some long distance traveling in the next couple of years.

Will keep the 2017 and finally get rid of our 2002 Dakota Quad cab licenced for long winter trips.

/Chris

seathreader84 said:
Nice set of cars.
Thank you.
It was fun to have two FFE's while it lasted.
Could not quite manage the S85D.
Although we did do an overnight test drive with one.
It was quite jaw dropping.

However, wifey loved a test ride in a Mitzubishi Outlander PHEV 2018.
Which we bought in June 2018 and sold both 2013 FFE and 2002 Quad Cab Dodge Dakota.

We've been twice back to Revelstoke in the Mitzubishi.
Not totally thrilled about hanging on to the fossil fuel tread.
However, it works quite well and the all wheel for winter driving is awesome.

I'll dream about the tesla until it comes true one day.

Regards,
Chris
Vancouver, BC

We now have a Bolt and an FFE: each has plus's and minus's in comparison.
Chevy better range of course, also better turning radius and nice seat height adjustment.
Ford rides better (a matter of opinion ... wife thinks otherwise) and allows ME to decide when to turn on lights, radio, & dim the mirror, etc. Also has OK navigation function, which Bolt lacks.

BTW, our 2012 FFE had better hand brake placement ... but ancient history now.

Tesla: I have read some horror stories about Super LONG delays for replacement parts, and some do not like the controls ... otherwise nifty car.
(Check the length of an S compared to others, regarding parking.)

With 2 FEV and living in BC, do you have the ability to have both of them on a charger every night?? What about in real cold weather---any concerns with having one car unplugged???

thanks ( We have three 2017 FEV's in the extended family, I also had a 2014 on a 3 year lease)

With 2 FEV and living in BC, do you have the ability to have both of them on a charger every night?? What about in real cold weather---any concerns with having one car unplugged???

thanks ( We have three 2017 FEV's in the extended family, I also had a 2014 on a 3 year lease)
I had a 30amp 240v EVSE in addition to the 120v EVSE which came with the cars. So I routinely had both plugged in. I once took my 2013 to YVR from Langley. I parked it with 52% left for 2 weeks unplugged. Made it home with 5% left. I wouldn't worry about being left unplugged... However, you should leave it plugged in if you have the option.
Cheers,
Chris

My philosophy has always been ABC (always be charging). I have a Ford Focus Electric that I keep plugged into a 240v charger, primarily because it won't precondition on a 120v charger. So that coupled with only a 70ish mile rage in Winter gets it preferential treatment. I sometimes need the heater/defroster, that cuts it down to 50ish miles if I need more than that per day it charges quickly on 240v.

I also have a Tesla Model 3 Long Range that I don't drive in Winter unless it's clear and at least 40 Degrees (F). So it just maintains an 80% charge (per Teslas recommended practices) on a 120v charger. The Tesla will precondition on the 120v charger, and with a 350 mile range you could even precondition on battery if you wanted.

That's an interesting observation concerning the different precharging behaviors of the two cars on 120v.
In addition to the L2 charger in the garage I typically use, I have an L1 charger for our ID.4 with which to experiment.
We're having an unseasonably warm winter here so far in West Michigan (50° plus on Christmas!), but it's bound to get cold eventually!!

Don't forget that MANY L1 travel chargers work fine on 240V and can give 2x the charge. The original Ford one did and the replacement was a literal Clipper Creek EVSE with FW that simply locks it to a max of 12A doesn't treat a single hot phase as an "error".

Our preowned FFE came with an L1 charger that I haven't even taken out of the boot yet. I'll have to take look at that label. I assume an adapter for the plug would be required. So where does that come in handy? If I have to charge up at an RV park for instance?

Back