Undercarriage pics

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrcfocus

Hello, I am awaiting delivery of my FFE and I've always rust proofed every vehicle I've owned and I will most likely do the same for the FFE since I live in the North East and they have a habit of putting down way too much salt in the winter months. I've been searching the internet for what the underside of a FFE looks like, but haven't found anything useful. Can anyone help me out? Thanks

Don't have a picture for you, but not sure if you really need to do all that undercoating.

I had a three year old FFE in Chicago. Driven through Chicago winters and summers for three solid years. Before returning the car for one reason or another, I removed the headlight assembly on the car. I was kind of surprised to see rust, it was really just surface rust, at the frame to bumper joint. The three year old California car sitting next to it, with the headlights removed, had absolutely no rust in the same place.

My point - if you are trying to really rustproof the car, you would never get up in that area under the headlights. And there are far too many hidden places for rust to happen. Not sure if just spraying the bottom of the car will do you a lot of good. The rust will appear in other places in the car - if it does. And it will likely take a really long time for rust to happen.

I'm also not sure Focus MKIII's have any real rust prone areas. That version is about 6 years old now, and I don't see any Focus that have rust anywhere. From personal experience, it is nothing like the Mercedes around 1999 - total rust buckets.

It looks like the underside of any other car. What specifically are you looking for? Only differences are a kludge of support steel for the part of the battery where the gas tank would be and some more kludges around the storage bin in the rear where the muffler would otherwise be. The charger occupies the "tunnel" where the muffler would normally be. There is a fabric splash guard under most of the motor compartment (hood).
They pave the roads with salt here in the winter too. My car has been thru 3 winters. I unfortunately received the car bathed in salt as it arrived in a snow storm. I washed it the next thaw that came and more or less parked it until the salt was gone. I mostly avoided salt the next year as well driving my old beater. This past winter my FFE was my only car. I sprayed the undercarriage with rust proofing late last fall There is some undercarriage surface rust already. My primary area of concern is rust behind the plastic rocker panels. This coming fall I may figure out how to remove the plastic so I can rust proof the metal behind it.

There's also a large felted-fabric type of insulation pad that covers the entire bottom of the battery pack. It's like the material they use to line fender wells. I'm not sure how it would react to undercoating. My 2012 FFE spent 5 winters in Michigan and the undercarriage shows the evidence of repeated salt baths- there's surface rust everywhere. When I got the car I also discovered a large amount of sand and gravel inside the plastic rocker panel covers. I think someone took the FFE off-roading.

StoBro2 said:
I think someone took the FFE off-roading.
Many Michigan roads could qualify as "off-roading." :lol: I'm guessing they probably lived on or often had to go down one of Michigan's many high quality dirt roads. I often found myself going down these "roads" when trying to find a short cut when I worked in Michigan.

triangles said:
Many Michigan roads could qualify as "off-roading." :lol: I'm guessing they probably lived on or often had to go down one of Michigan's many high quality dirt roads. I often found myself going down these "roads" when trying to find a short cut when I worked in Michigan.
Even our interstate highways can be considered as off-roading! :shock:

triangles said:
Like a certain southbound I-75 bridge that has developed bottomless pot holes! :shock:
Well that bridge is currently shutdown for reconstruction (the southbound lanes are--after a year they will rebuild the northbound lanes).

Back