Bolt has 238 mile range!

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmueller065

Wow GM has really exceeded its target:
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/opinion/columnists/henry-payne/2016/09/13/payne-chevy-bolt/90291548/

If the car is as good as the review above indicates its going to be a hit for GM.

Update: another review from Detroit's other paper:
http://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/mark-phelan/2016/09/13/chevrolet-bolt-electric-cars-mainstream-tesla-nissan-leaf-toyota-prius/90108614/

Nice car, but I think Bolt is a dumb name choice.

Chevy should have come up with something else. It just sounds too much like "Volt", and when you use it in conversations, it isn't clear which car you're talking about.

Imagine if Ford had another car called the "Vocus".

WattsUp said:
Nice car, but I think Bolt is a dumb name choice.

Chevy should have come up with something else. It just sounds too much like "Volt", and when you use it in conversations, it isn't clear which car you're talking about.

Imagine if Ford had another car called the "Vocus".
I agree. I understand that they were trying to go with something similar to Volt that still was related to electricity (e.g. lightning bolt) but when I first heard it (and indeed whenever I read it or see the name) all I can think of is a "bolt"--e.g. a metal fastener..not the image I think GM had in mind!

When I compare the FFE and upcoming Bolt, there are two major differences.

Trim level with leather MSRP FFE 31K 80 Mile Range; BOLT 41K 230 Mile Range

Everything else is roughly the same. The BOLT is actually shorter than the FFE. Basically a subcompact car.

So they have to convince customers that they need to pay 10K over existing vehicles to avoid range anxiety. How likely is that? The price is in the same range as some SUVs even after rebate/credits. Didn't both Ford and Nissan have to slash prices to get customers initially? Is that going to happen again? I have a feeling this vehicle will be a tough sell.

The Bolt will be a runaway success.

The FFE realistically works as a city car and for commutes of roughly 20-25 miles or less (each way). Same thing with the Leaf. We see ALOT of Leafs here in Atlanta, the commute (in mileage) works out well for alot of folks.

The Bolt opens up commutes of 60-70 miles (each way). That's HUGE. It also lets you go to the inlaws house or your brothers place (etc,etc).

The Bolt should outsell the FFE 10:1. What's REALLY interesting is how Nissan plays this for MY 2018. I don't think the FFE has a place in this game.

However, for someone with a commute of 20 miles (or less) each way, a used FFE is, in my no-so-humble opinion, the very best thing you can buy for the money.

I would agree that it will sell to some extent but the cost is the issue. If a person can buy a semi luxury vehicle for the same price as the Bolt, why would they buy a Bolt? I am talking about a person who is an average buyer not really sold on electric. Even with the rebate and tax credit it seems a difficult bridge to cross.

Back