Car stoped at signal

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nehaneet

This happened to me twice in the past 4 days. When I am at the signal my car started showing indicator asking me to slowly bring car to stop. The shaft moves to Neutral position. Then it gets stuck there I can bring it to park. I started 4 way flasher then restarted the car again. After doing this couple of time car started normally in drive position.

I am taking car to the dealer tomorrow. Anyone has this issue?

Very scary though being in the middle of the road :-(

I'm sorry you're having a problem with the car.

Is the indicator you mention the "Stop Safely Now" message that's been reported by other people, or something else? Can you describe the message you see with a little more detail?

Tim

It was flashing red Triangle.

My car is at the dealer now. The technician found two transmission related error codes. They will investigate more.

nehaneet said:
It was flashing red Triangle.

My car is at the dealer now. The technician found two transmission related error codes. They will investigate more.

Transmission related error codes on a direct drive car...hmm the plot thickens.

I had the same problem this morning on my way to work. I stopped at a stop sign and the car stalled, showing an error message. I put it into Park to turn it off but the display showed it in Neutral, and it would not turn off. I put on the emergency flashers and kept trying to turn it off and then on again. The display still showed it in Neutral. I was not able to move the stick from its position in Park. The error message was "Stop Safely Now", which the Owner's Manual says means: "This indicates an electrical component fault/failure that will cause the vehicle to shut down or enter into limited
operating mode." I was able to eventually get it to turn off and restart to continue driving to work. I called Ford and am dropping it off tonight for service. I'll post the outcome here in a couple of days.

About how many miles do you have on your car? And car age?

My car is a few months old but under 1k miles (mostly just work which is near by). I wonder if it is only relatively new cars (like within the first month).

Thanks.

Just an update from my recent stall - issue is not resolved yet. The car has been at the dealer since last week and they are trying to "replicate the problem". They have been on the phone with the program manager in Michigan about it. Evidently it is not a known issue - although this thread indicates that someone at a Ford service center somewhere has fixed a very similar problem. I will post an update once I have one. I am currently driving a rental car that the dealer provided. I told them I really don't want it back until they have located and fixed the problem. But I don't know if they will be able to do that.

Sorry, I should have posted the outcome earlier. I took my car in to the dealer and after about 2 weeks I got it back. Tests showed that water had got into into the "PCM box". So they replaced the PCM. Then they did an "adjustment procedure in the trans sensor" which they also referred to as a "trans range adjustment". All of this was done at the direction of Ford Focus Electric program team in Detroit, according to my dealer. I have had no further issues since I got the car back in mid December 2012. Good luck with this - at least we now know that the FFE team in Detroit has knowledge of this issue. They should be able to advise your dealer on the issue.

I don't know how the water got into the PCM box since that seems to be an important part of the car. We had some bad rainstorms here in CA for a couple of weeks before this problem happened. But it seems that the PCM box should not be subject to rain storms.

Back