OBD Scan Tools Info / Data

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, I'm still not absolutely clear...can you confirm...

1. OBDlink wifi + iphone + forscan core= not reliable

2. OBDLINK USB + windows laptop + beta forscan = reliable and confirmed to work with FFE

3. OBDlink wifi or bluetooth + android table + forscan core = reliable and confirmed to work with FFE

My top choice would be #2 (windows laptop and obdlink USB) if that's confirmed to work

Thanks!

michael said:
Sorry, I'm still not absolutely clear...can you confirm...

1. OBDlink wifi + iphone + forscan core= not reliable

2. OBDLINK USB + windows laptop + beta forscan = reliable and confirmed to work with FFE

3. OBDlink wifi or bluetooth + android table + forscan core = reliable and confirmed to work with FFE

My top choice would be #2 (windows laptop and obdlink USB) if that's confirmed to work

Thanks!
I don't know if USB works with Windows. Have you tried asking that on the FORScan forum? I know others who have used Bluetooth & wifi with Windows. The Bluetooth with Android seems to be the most stable for users who have tried various options.

I have a Sony Android tablet. I loaded up the demo version of Forscan (the one they said to use to try compatibility) and it didn't work properly. I ran it in demo mode...the vehicle, log, and errors showed up, but the table, dashboard, and graph were blank. I'm guessing this means my tablet is incompatible. Grrrr. This is what I was hoping to avoid......

michael said:
I ran it in demo mode...the vehicle, log, and errors showed up, but the table, dashboard, and graph were blank.
These screens are always blank unless you configure some PIDs for display. Did you try doing that?

(Admittedy, the software isn't terribly intuitive.)

It didn't seem to work, so I just ordered the bluetooth adapter and will give it a try. If not, I can either get a newer cheapie Android (hard to believe they are so cheap these days) or return the adapter. yay, Amazon

If this works, it will be well worth having, a big upgrade from what I have now.

michael said:
I have a Sony Android tablet. I loaded up the demo version of Forscan (the one they said to use to try compatibility) and it didn't work properly. I ran it in demo mode...the vehicle, log, and errors showed up, but the table, dashboard, and graph were blank. I'm guessing this means my tablet is incompatible. Grrrr. This is what I was hoping to avoid......
What adapter were you using?

I didn't have an adapter....I have been using a Scan Gauge. Doesn't provide anything like the kind of info you guys are getting. My dilemma was whether to try to get the Forscan to work with an Iphone I had an old Android around, decided to see if I can press it into service for this.

michael said:
I didn't have an adapter....I have been using a Scan Gauge. Doesn't provide anything like the kind of info you guys are getting. My dilemma was whether to try to get the Forscan to work with an Iphone I had an old Android around, decided to see if I can press it into service for this.
It will only work in demo mode without an adapter. I don't think you can see any PIDs without an adapter because each car has its own unique set of modules & PIDs. It sounds like your old Android tablet will work based on how it installed for you. Did you order the OBDLink MX Bluetooth scanner?

Yes. It was reasonable enough and I figured with Amazon no risk. It's unbelievable....I ordered it a few hours ago and it will be delivered tomorrow, Sunday, at no cost.

michael said:
Yes. It was reasonable enough and I figured with Amazon no risk. It's unbelievable....I ordered it a few hours ago and it will be delivered tomorrow, Sunday, at no cost.
How does it get delivered Sunday? Around here the Prime 2-day shipping often takes 3 days because Amazon is cheap and rarely will spring for anything other than Ground and Ground shipping often takes a day longer than they promise. So the "guaranteed" delivery date for Prime purchases is often missed, I'd say close to 50% of the time in our experience.

They must have a local depot. The delivery often happens at night. People around here get there groceries delivered by Amazon at like 5 AM.

And this one-day delivery was at no charge....

Order placed
July 25, 2015

View order details

Arriving today by 9pm
Preparing for Shipment
Track package
ScanTool 427201 OBDLink LX Bluetooth: OBD Adapter/Diagnostic Scanner for Android & Windows
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC
$62.38
Buy it Again
Request cancellation
Archive order

michael said:
ScanTool 427201 OBDLink LX Bluetooth: OBD Adapter/Diagnostic Scanner for Android & Windows
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC
$62.38
Buy it Again
Request cancellation
Archive order
You bought the LX instead of the MX. The LX can only read HSCAN modules, it cannot read modules on the MSCAN. I'm not sure which modules this means you won't be able to access. I'm not with the Focus right now to be able to check.

OK, thanks for catching this. I'll return it and get the one you recommend.

In the meanwhile, it seems to be working great...I see a lot of modules and seem to read the PIDs fine

Thanks, guys, for turning me on to this.

Follow up: It seems fine with this one. Please let me know if I need to exchange it or not.

michael said:
BECM
SOBDM
TCM
PCM
APIM
ACCM
GFM
SASM
OCM
ABS
DCDC
RDCM
PAM
PSCM
BdyCM
GWM
HVAC? That one must be MSCAN. That one shows the air temp of the air coming out each vent & the blower fan speed, among other things. It looks like you have all the main ones.

You get all the main ones that I look at: BECM, PCM, TCM, BdyCM & SOBDM when charging.

Can you do me a favor and test something? Please try setting up your TCM with the same PIDs I have and see if your car will reliably read the data. Mine will error out after awhile and show this message:

I don't know if the issue is with the car, my OBDLink MX scanner or FORScan. It happened with both beta versions of FORScan I used and the production version.

Thank you!

jmueller065 said:
hybridbear said:
Please try setting up your TCM with the same PIDs I have and see if your car will reliably read the data.
FYI Mine read those without issue.
Thanks. I wonder if I have a bad OBDLink MX or if I have an issue with the car. I have tried both OBDII ports in the FFE and both have the same result. My tablet will usually read PIDs from the TCM for about 30 seconds to 3 minutes before showing the error in the pic above. Once the error happens the first time it gets progressively worse to the point where I can no longer read any data from the TCM until I re-establish the connection between FORScan & the car.

I took my morning commute today with the Forscan running. What I noticed was variations in the maximum cell variation.

At rest, it was 0.01, but while driving it reached higher levels. At the application of full throttle, it would reach 0.08, occasionally 0.10 for a few seconds, and then reduce to perhaps 0.07 or even less after a few seconds of continuing full throttle. Obviously I couldn't hold full throttle for too long as speed got too high.

I see this as variations in the internal resistance of the cells. What I don't have any feeling for is how my value compares with what others are seeing. Anybody have insight in this?

I saw these variations both shortly after leaving home (with battery still almost fully charged) and later in the commute (with SOC in the 30% range).

At rest, late in the commute, imbalance was typically 0.02.

Also, the results I'm seeing from Forscan do agree with what my Scan Gauge has been showing. I had speculated that there was some scaling error in one or the other that explained why I was seeing only 18.2 kWh or so ETE while other were showing higher, but this turns out not to be so. Both Forscan and ScanGauge agree on this lower value.

michael said:
What I don't have any feeling for is how my value compares with what others are seeing. Anybody have insight in this?
Check out this post http://www.myfocuselectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2779&start=90#p20597
I know that Jamie also has FORScan working, I wonder what he sees for variation.

Back