Quick charge project

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am having a replacement high voltage junction box lid machined

Would you share some detailed pictures and perhaps a little drawing on how you connect your brusa?

I can do some C programming, the electrical part is much more challenging for me :)

I am inching forward. It feels like I've been at this a long time. (Truth be told, I thought about it the first night I took the car home :lol: ). I will post more pictures and information as I progress out of a hacked up setup to something more permanent. I've enlisted the help of a fellow I went to college with who is a computer engineer, and he'll be helping with Arduino programming. I just ordered all my cabling, terminals, crimpers, weatherproof enclosure, cable glands, terminal blocks, contactors, and my Chademo inlet. The Brusa is going to get its permanent mounting location soon, as well. Both the Chademo and second J1772 inlet will be mounted under the hood.

Things are really starting to fall into place. Stay tuned. ;)

I'd say it was a productive weekend :D
All the hardware is in and mounted. The high voltage cables are all connected except for the BRUSA battery leads (just waiting on some ring terminals). All that remains is finishing the controls. CAN bus work is about 50% done. Getting closer...

Tried out the BRUSA last night. I was able to do a 56% to 94% charge in 42 minutes. I have the BRUSA set to shut off at 94%, and then the on board charger finishes the charge. BRUSA pulls about 16A, the on board pulls about 30A, for a total of 46A AC in. The beauty of it is that while higher than 30A level 2 stations in public are rare, multiple level 2's side by side are not.

Success! This FFE just became Chademo enabled! ;)

This isn't the final automated version, but the car took 120A like a champ. Ignore the SOC on the charging station and the time remaining, as they are just dummy values for now. Also, the voltage at the charger reads higher than the actual battery voltage. The car was reporting about 351V at the time of this shot, at which point I dialed the amps back rather quickly :lol: SOC was going up 1% every 16 seconds.

sefs said:
SOC was going up 1% every 16 seconds.
:shock: Whoa.

I'm especially impressed that it looks like you can still close the hood (after you're done fast charging) with all the extra electronics in there.

Did a 0% to 80% charge this morning in 20 minutes and 40 seconds. The thermal management system was fully engaged keeping the battery at ~100F. At 80% I'm hitting 351V which is my CV point. So after 80% the current is going to start to be throttled back from 120A.

tinilk said:
I'm especially impressed that it looks like you can still close the hood (after you're done fast charging) with all the extra electronics in there.
If he couldn't, then he'd need to add a "supercharger scoop" to the hood, which might actually be kinda cool. :lol:

I'm wondering how the leaf can handle 20 minute charges when the Focus triggers thermal management going full blast.

Trying out some revised software with the tapering added. This is a shot of my display during the constant current phase of charging.

Bump. Update? Parts list? Price?

Would do you need the BRUSA if you don't want a second level 2 charger, but just want Chademo charging? What part of the country do you live in?

This is awesome news. Are you going to eventually sell kits? I would love to add CHAdeMO to my FFE in the future after a handful of months of testing without any explosions of course :D. This would be the first major step to improve the FFE and make it a real car. Also, any thoughts as to adding additional batteries to the batteries already in the car to bump the range near the 100 mile mark? Even 100 miles with CHAdeMO would be enough to hopscotch from St. Louis to Chicago to Milwaukee based on the architecture in place (once Springfield IL gets their charger up and running) with about 4 or 5 30 minute stops along the way; imagine a real road trip with the FFE!!

Back