Where is OBD-II connector (if any)

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

art5

I'm new to this forum, so I apologize if this has already been discussed: Where is the OBD-II connector on the Focus Electric (USA model)? There is an empty hole where it is normally located under the dash on the non-electric models. It even says "OBD" next to it, but no connector. If no OBD connector, how are diagnostics done and is any of this accessible to non-Ford technicians? Thanks.

The OBD-II port is located in the knee panel under the left side of the steering wheel behind a hinged cover. I know this because Progressive Insurance assured me that their Snapshot OBD-dongle was compatible with the FFE. Lets just say it is NOT COMPATIBLE!!!!

This is a grat question. I do not currently have an OBD reader, mine went with the old Jeep I sold, but they are easy to borrow. Only need them if a light comes on but it would be interesting to see what data is gatehered on an OBD or scan tool. Anyone find a way to acces the 'internal' information?

Has anyone hooked up to the OBD-II port on a 2013 FFE (or even a 2012) to see if it shows anything interesting? My dealer says it would show fault codes but no other data not already available on the cabin displays; then again, he might be wrong.

Apparently my dealer was wrong to some unknown degree. A very senior Ford person just wrote me:

"The OBDII port can provide access to more parameters when using the right diagnostic tool. Its most common function is to provide diagnostic codes for service associated with MIL lights."

Intriguing, but this doesn't tell me what the "more parameters" or the "right diagnostic tool" are. Any gearheads out there who want to take a look are cordially invited to post what they find!

There are two connectors. The usual one behind the cover that says OBD and a second one that's up underneath near the steering column.

HlT0mUV.jpg

I had a data logger plugged into the second one and it grabbed some pretty interesting information, but I had to upload the log files to a website to have them generate the reports.

I'm looking for something that will give real time data on:
HV battery amps (positive and negative values)
HV battery volts
HV battery temperature (likely multiple)
HV battery State of Charge (SoC)
Instantaneous Wh/mile
Average Wh/mile

I imagine this could be done with an Arduino and a 2 line LCD display, but I'd have no clue as to how to program it.

There's a guy who made one for the Nissan Leaf. I saw it in action and it was pretty cool.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=8527&sid=44c07b5b4e204b4441005323d14608e7

These guys also have something that looks promising with EV support in the works.
http://www.palmerperformance.com/products/dashcommand/index.php

Any OBD sniffing experts here?

You may want to join Ford's OpenXC Developer program. They may supply you with all the information you need to collect the data you want:

https://developer.ford.com/develop/openxc/

Has anyone had any luck with actually getting any data from the car? I tried connecting my computer to it using a OBDLink SX USB cable with Scan XK software. As soon as the PC tried to negotiate with the car, the car threw an error message. Fortunately I was in the garage so no big deal. Rebooting the car brought everything back to normal. Same behavior on both ports.

WattsUp said:
az erik said:
Any idea what the very large connector under the driver seat happens to be for?
Are you sure it's a connector? I saw a climate vent there (blasts air to the back seats).
Yeah, this is bottom left front. Basically Divers left foot under the drivers seat. Has a bolt in the middle of it like the PCM connector. I'll get a pic later.

Good to know there are vents somewhere in the back, my daughter was pretty hot in the car seat yesterday as I was running vent only.

That large connector you see under the driver's seat is for the seat heater and seat position motor if so equipped. Seat belt sensors may go through that as well.

I tried using a cheapo OBD reader but, after a long scanning phase, always says "LINK ERROR!" when I tried to use it in either of the OBD ports in my FEE.

Perhaps the problem is my cheapo OBD reader, though it works great with my 2000 Honda Accord. Anyone else been able to get any codes from their FFE?

It would be surprising. There is a new OBD reader that works with an iPhone app to help you drive better. It is a pretty brilliant device for the general public.
http://www.automatic.com/

They have a compatibility checker - the FFE is a choice to check. It is not at all compatible. The Focus ICE is compatible, 100%. Neither are Mercedes and probably BMW.

It's probably not your reader but the car.

The Automatic app's lack of support for the FFE is probably due to their product being completely oriented around gasoline statistics (look at the app screenshots). What the app does just doesn't make sense to use with an electric car (or, they even say, diesel cars).

Anyway... The OBD port merely provides access to a standardized communication protocol, it shouldn't matter whether the car powered by gas, electric, or one hundred squirrels. It would seem any reader should be able to read something from any OBD port. Then again, OBD is something cooked up by car manufacturers... I'm sure they'd come up with some way to force an upgrade.

But, has anyone here gotten an OBD reader to read any codes from the FFE? If so, which model reader did you use?

I tried my Diablo Predator, Sniper, Recon, SCT and some Harbor freight reader with no luck. Wonder if it's ODBiii possibly? Like the handshake just never seems to work.

Because I thought I bricked my car, I bought the Ford VCM II and a license for IDS. Turns out, I just didn't seat the service disconnect on the upper battery well enough :oops: , but now I have the full diagnostic software for the FFE. I'll be posting some screen shots soon. I just had a little bit of time to play with it, but there is a lot of data you can view with this thing. I was looking at incoming voltage to the charger, the battery voltage, temperatures, currents.. All very interesting. And as a side note, I did try some generic OBD-II readers before, and they did not work. The generic OBD-II readers just do not have the programming to communicate and query for all the EV unique parts on the vehicle CAN bus.

Back