Bigger Batteries in a 2016 FFE?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milam

Will the new bigger battery pack from the 2017 model, fit in a 2016 model?

That additional 30% would be a great addition.

Love my car.

It worked OK in 3 degree weather last night.

There appear to be no major changes to the basic design of 2017 FFE. It's very possible that the batteries of a 2017 model with bolt right into a 2016 and earlier models. If not I'm sure that aftermarket battery manufacturers will come out with larger batteries within a few years.

Texas FFE said:
There appear to be no major changes to the basic design of 2017 FFE. It's very possible that the batteries of a 2017 model with bolt right into a 2016 and earlier models. If not I'm sure that aftermarket battery manufacturers will come out with larger batteries within a few years.

Think you've missed a lot of discussion here Texas FFE. No the battery won't just bolt in. At the very least, the 2017 includes CCS - a completely different connection for charging - requiring a new connector and quarter panel. And it has to include a completely different charger because the current FFE does not allow high power direct DC into the battery. There is nothing bolt in about the new car battery.

There is virtually no chance somebody will make a larger capacity aftermarket battery for the current cars. Just over 5,000 total were sold. Would you start that business? No sane person, including Ford would ever make money at that.

EVA said:
Think you've missed a lot of discussion here Texas FFE. No the battery won't just bolt in. At the very least, the 2017 includes CCS - a completely different connection for charging - requiring a new connector and quarter panel. And it has to include a completely different charger because the current FFE does not allow high power direct DC into the battery. There is nothing bolt in about the new car battery.

There is virtually no chance somebody will make a larger capacity aftermarket battery for the current cars. Just over 5,000 total were sold. Would you start that business? No sane person, including Ford would ever make money at that.

I'm getting so sick of all your hot air. You don't know anything about the 2017 Focus, nobody does yet. You're bound and determine to discourage everyone from making their Focus Electric cars better but you don't seem to know anything about the car industry peoples passion for their cars.

The problem here is no one on this forum knows yet what the differences are battery configuration wise. If it's just better chemistry and the same cell config. It might be possible to put the 2017 battery in the earlier cars. we'll just have to wait and find out. I probably won't do anything for at least 5 years if ever.

If it's "just" a traction pack, and the form factor is the same, the connectors are the same I can't see why not. Overall the EV's are modular, the charger and inverter aren't part of the traction pack, and at the end of the day - they're just battery cells in a box. But seeing as it may have "more juice" being "shoved" into the cells, the connection and wiring may be different. When I get my hands on a 2017 in the next few weeks I'll take a look at the plugs (if I can)

SOFTWARE on the other hand may be the biggest problem. OE capacity may be hard-coded into the software, so if you put a 30kWh pack into the car, it may still think it's a 24kWh pack. You may need to refresh things somehow

Jamez said:
SOFTWARE on the other hand may be the biggest problem. OE capacity may be hard-coded into the software, so if you put a 30kWh pack into the car, it may still think it's a 24kWh pack. You may need to refresh things somehow

My bet would be it's charging points are based on pack voltage so software may not care BUT is the pack even the same voltage? IDK?

According to the Ford parts catalog, the Service Part Number for a replacement high voltage battery for a 2017 is CM5Z-10B759-K. When looking up a 2016, that is also what is coming up. I'd say it appears that the new 33.5 kWh is superseding the old pack. It's likely more cost effective to have only 1 part number in such a low volume part.

But I wouldn't run out and buy one just yet, even if you do have $8K+ burning a hole in your pocket :lol: . There will need to be some software updates performed during a battery replacement to "teach" the car that it now has additional capacity and range. I'd wait for the dealers to be notified of this procedure before making any rash decisions.

Just thought I'd share this discovery though.

cutler03gt said:
According to the Ford parts catalog, the Service Part Number for a replacement high voltage battery for a 2017 is CM5Z-10B759-K. When looking up a 2016, that is also what is coming up. I'd say it appears that the new 33.5 kWh is superseding the old pack. It's likely more cost effective to have only 1 part number in such a low volume part.

But I wouldn't run out and buy one just yet, even if you do have $8K+ burning a hole in your pocket :lol: . There will need to be some software updates performed during a battery replacement to "teach" the car that it now has additional capacity and range. I'd wait for the dealers to be notified of this procedure before making any rash decisions.

Just thought I'd share this discovery though.

I can make an extra 8 grand in my budget for a battery upgrade! If not, I'll put it on my credit card. The level 1 outlet at the job site I'm working at was burned last week and am forced to drive my ICE until the job is completed. Crossing my fingers they can put this in a 2013 FFE.

awefulspeller said:
I can make an extra 8 grand in my budget for a battery upgrade! If not, I'll put it on my credit card. The level 1 outlet at the job site I'm working at was burned last week and am forced to drive my ICE until the job is completed. Crossing my fingers they can put this in a 2013 FFE.

Ouch! I'll keep an eye out for how it progresses and let you guys know what becomes of it. I'm sure the workshop manual will get updated to add reflashing certain modules during battery replacement.

I'd imagine there will also be some sort of customer letter or service message for the dealer to inform the customer of the changes that they'll notice if they'd have a battery replacement. Otherwise, customers may be confused why it takes so long to charge their car to 100% now
:)

Back