Anything goes

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sefs

As I'm driving home today, I thought to myself, what would be the idea specs of this car? If you could make the FFE have any specs, what would they be? It has to be in the confines of the current car, but any spec goes. Here is my dream spec list:

1. Charging

a. 20 kW J1772 charging implemented with two onboard chargers.

i. Two J1772 ports. You could either use one for the full 80 amps, or two for a combination increasing charging rate from two EVSE's.

b. Chademo quick charge port.

c. CCS quick charge port.

d. Ability to limit charging rate (in amps).

e. Ability to limit SOC % to whatever you want.

2. Battery

a. 60 kWh battery pack contained all within the floor board area: no intrusion into trunk area.

b. 200 mile range.

c. Aggressive battery temperature management. Runs even when the car isn't plugged in and is off (heat/cool).

d. 20 amp 120V outlet and 50 amp 240V outlet for powering tools or whatever when on the go.

3. Motors

a. Four 100 kW rated motors: one for each wheel.

b. Fully independent control for each motor, increase performance and handling.

c. Sub 5 second 0-60 time.

d. 125 MPH top speed.

4. Instrument Panel Cluster

a. View battery SOC in percent.

b. View charging power, volt, amps, and limit amps as needed.

c. View propulsion/regen power as driving.

What are your ideas? Dream big! :lol:

P.S. I'm already really happy with the car as it is.

You know that Ford has already prototyped in-wheel-motors, at least with another vendor in a Fiesta:
http://jamiegeek.myevblog.com/2013/10/15/in-wheel-motors/

1. Charging

a. 20 kW J1772 charging implemented with two onboard chargers.

20 kW single or double, don't care

i. Two J1772 ports. You could either use one for the full 80 amps, or two for a combination increasing charging rate from two EVSE's.
One is enough for me. Cheaper to get a single larger EVSE than two small ones

b. Chademo quick charge port.
Yes

c. CCS quick charge port.
Don't see evidence of any of them being built

d. Ability to limit charging rate (in amps).

Yes

e. Ability to limit SOC % to whatever you want.

Yes

2. Battery

a. 60 kWh battery pack contained all within the floor board area: no intrusion into trunk area.

Would settle for anything in range 40 to 60

b. 200 mile range.

c. Aggressive battery temperature management. Runs even when the car isn't plugged in and is off (heat/cool).

Yes, agressive, not like we have

d. 20 amp 120V outlet and 50 amp 240V outlet for powering tools or whatever when on the go.

120 enough for me

3. Motors

a. Four 100 kW rated motors: one for each wheel.

Whatever is most efficient...few big motors or many small

b. Fully independent control for each motor, increase performance and handling.

c. Sub 5 second 0-60 time.

Better than I need

d. 125 MPH top speed.

Faster than I need

4. Instrument Panel Cluster

a. View battery SOC in percent.

Already available using OBD scanner

b. View charging power, volt, amps, and limit amps as needed.

Yes

c. View propulsion/regen power as driving.

Already available with OBD scanner

What are your ideas? Dream big! :lol:

P.S. I'm already really happy with the car as it is.

My additional wishes...

Smart range estimator that considers elevation change and grade. Presently, if one goes up a short grade, the mileage estimate falls. Computation should be able to know that the grade is short and not be faked out.

Provision for a pusher trailer for long trips.

Michael,

My idea on the dual J1772 ports is for if you were road tripping and came upon a charging location with two 30 amp charging stations, you could get 60 amps if you had two discrete onboard chargers that could have independent AC inputs.

Oh yes...another thing...ability to save favorite routes, not just favorite destinations. Include in this list of waypoints which ones are charging locations

michael said:
Oh yes...another thing...ability to save favorite routes, not just favorite destinations. Include in this list of waypoints which ones are charging locations
I definitely agree with this. I have to tell the GPS, every time I use it for range estimation with waypoints for my daily travels, that I don't want to take the interstate to go to work. I don't want to tell it to always avoid because I will use it to get to certain destinations, just not my daily commute to work.

Ford has been and still is a member of the CCS DC Quick Charge consortium. There is absolutely no chance that Ford will move to CHAdeMO for several reasons, not the least being that the CHAdeMO standard is made up of Japanese and Korean manufacturers (and Renault). ALL other German, and U.S. automakers, including Audi, BMW, Chrysler, Daimler, Ford, General Motors, Porsche, and Volkswagen, use the CCS standard. The CCS Level 3 is in use with the i3 and Chevy Spark, with VW coming soon.

In addition: Ford has been testing an FFE (and showing it off!) with CCS.
(look in the "Ford @ CES" thread here: http://www.myfocuselectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2524 )

I like all the ideas above. I want to post my crazy idea for MFM v3 or whatever for the navigation:

1. Imagine a navigation system solely built and designed for electric cars or PHEV.

Imagine your driving somewhere and the destination entered then tells the navigation system and the car when and how to REGEN energy back into the car. The gps will have elevations and other information so the car gives you the best route with the most Regen.

2. My next idea is to give the FFe all LED lights and give it the Fiesta LED Fog Lights.

3. 300m range with DC fast charging

4. Eliminate the speedometer analog and make it more like GMC or Cadillac which has analog and digital. There can be an outer ring with speed which can be electronically changed for mph and kmh.

5. Move the batteries to under the seats and where the spare tire is.

6. Solar charging on top as a skin like new roof systems.

7. Heads up display that's color coded for speed. The speedometer speed is green if your under the limit and red if your 10mph over. As well as turn by turn navigation arrows reflected upon the glass.

jmueller065 said:
Move the batteries to under the seats and where the spare tire is.
The batteries are already under the rear seats and where the spare tire was (no spare on the FFE).

But they can add more and make them thinner. Do what Apple is and make the battery thin and layer them so they can fit more into tighter areas.

Yellowzx5 said:
jmueller065 said:
Move the batteries to under the seats and where the spare tire is.
The batteries are already under the rear seats and where the spare tire was (no spare on the FFE).

But they can add more and make them thinner. Do what Apple is and make the battery thin and layer them so they can fit more into tighter areas.

What you really want Ford to do is make a purpose built car with the battery pack in the floor, like BMW and Nissan. Remember the design criteria for the FFE was use the existing chassis. Don't build a dedicated electric car production line. They've done a magnificent job with that, and for the Fusion and C-Max Energis. Those multi use lines keep the price down and the ability to manufacture these cars.

I recently saw a tear down video of the Leaf battery - I can see why that battery has no active cooling or heating - they went with custom flat battery cells. They don't lend themselves to easily allow coolant to run around them. If I'm not mistaken, Ford, like Tesla, went with round cells that could be capped and have coolant running around them.

That round battery forces a certain form factor - the boxes they've put under the rear seat and where the spare tire went. Similar boxes could be used in the Energi cars.

If you watch the assembly videos of the FFE, you'll see there isn't really room for more batteries. They've packed the car about as full as they can. Even if they went with flatter batteries, I don't think they can get more in the space they have. There is a limited volume they have to work with.

Yellowzx5 said:

You are driving a car not a cell phone. The battery in the FFE is 15,972 times larger than the battery in your iPhone. The motor consumes 107,000 watts FLA. You don't move that much current and dissipate that much heat by going "thinner and layered".

Steve0512 said:
Yellowzx5 said:

You are driving a car not a cell phone. The battery in the FFE is 15,972 times larger than the battery in your iPhone. The motor consumes 107,000 watts FLA. You don't move that much current and dissipate that much heat by going "thinner and layered".

I understand that. I am sure there must be a way to achieve thinner with venting or liquid cooling channels through the battery.

Ford also has plans on another ev or PHEV specific chassis soon for 2017 I believe.

Back