2018 FFEs sold out in California

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkc46

Well my FFE was in a pile-up and totaled.

Researched the heck out of it, and for the price FFE won out again, but 2018s are sold out in No. and SoCal. With tariff and production hoopla, anyone worried they might drop from lineup? And if not, when will 2019 arrive?

I personally think the new Nissan leaf SV is overpriced...cheap interior, a bit noisy, boxy drive (still), mediocre radio, $125 more a month w/tech(lease)150 range.
Hyundai Ioniq none to be had, nice interior tech option, 100 bucks more a month/wo tech. 125 range.

Tesla not ready for prime time.

Clarity-sold out.

Anybody want out of a fair, short lease?

bkc46 said:

Researched the heck out of it, and for the price FFE won out again, but 2018s are sold out in No. and SoCal. With tariff and production hoopla, anyone worried they might drop from lineup? And if not, when will 2019 arrive?

I personally think the new Nissan leaf SV is overpriced...cheap interior, a bit noisy, boxy drive (still), mediocre radio, $125 more a month w/tech(lease)150 range.
Hyundai Ioniq none to be had, nice interior tech option, 100 bucks more a month/wo tech. 125 range.

Clarity-sold out.

I guess a step backwards, but Sunrise Ford has a new 2015 Ford Focus Electric for 19,999 on cars.com. Just make sure that modem was updated. Maybe a lease? Could be inexpensive?

Silverrabbir1954
2015 FFE (retired)
2017 FFE (leased)
2017 Honda Clarity Electric (leased)

bkc46 said:

Clarity-sold out.

FFE was discontinued and ceased production back in May 2018. The factory that made them is being retooled for the Ranger and in another year or so the Bronco too. The next gen Focus will be made in China beginning production in late 2019. No word on if they will bring back the FFE then. Frankly I don't want a Chinese made car so even if they brought back the FFE, I'd pass on it.

The China Focus plans got the kibosh.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/ford-scraps-plan-to-import-china-built-small-car-due-to-tariff-cost-1535729401

bkc46 said:

Clarity-sold out.

I have a 2016 Magnetic lease swap available in San Diego.

Fat Focus said:
The China Focus plans got the kibosh.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/ford-scraps-plan-to-import-china-built-small-car-due-to-tariff-cost-1535729401

Well, they were only planning on importing the focus active, a subaru type model with raised ground clearance. And who knows how long these tariffs will be in effect. We settled a deal with mexico so we may settle a deal with china too at some time in the near future. If china would just agree to crack down on some of the piracy and copyright infringement we would probably make a deal. The point is, who knows? Nothing is set in stone.

Yep, new FFE's are all gone. What ever Ford does or doesn't do in the future, there isn't going to be an option for a new all electric passenger vehicle from Ford for some time.

Other than finding a used FFE (I did see a few on Craig's List in the SF Bay Area), the pickings are slim. The VW eGolf is about the closest thing to the FFE out there, but even those are hard to find. VW is supposed to release the "Neo" sometime late next year, but other than an exterior photo and a claim of Tesla like range and Golf like pricing, no details are available.

Frankly if I had to buy a new electric car right now and used wasn't an option, I'd probably try to find an eGolf. If that didn't workout I'd probably punt and get a 2nd gen Volt. Yeah, it is a plug in hybrid, but at least it looks like a normal car. Everything else (even the new Leaf) just doesn't appeal to me or is way too expensive (Tesla).

TexaCali said:
Yep, new FFE's are all gone. What ever Ford does or doesn't do in the future, there isn't going to be an option for a new all electric passenger vehicle from Ford for some time.

Other than finding a used FFE (I did see a few on Craig's List in the SF Bay Area), the pickings are slim. The VW eGolf is about the closest thing to the FFE out there, but even those are hard to find. VW is supposed to release the "Neo" sometime late next year, but other than an exterior photo and a claim of Tesla like range and Golf like pricing, no details are available.

Frankly if I had to buy a new electric car right now and used wasn't an option, I'd probably try to find an eGolf. If that didn't workout I'd probably punt and get a 2nd gen Volt. Yeah, it is a plug in hybrid, but at least it looks like a normal car. Everything else (even the new Leaf) just doesn't appeal to me or is way too expensive (Tesla).

Honestly I don't think the Bolt looks that much different from any of the other SUV/CUV's out on the market these days. Here I compare its looks to our Escape:
https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/2018/06/10/bolt-size-looks/

If I had to buy today, I'd get a Bolt. But I'm thinking in 6 months to a year there will be several new EVs on the market, including new entries from Hyundai and Kia.

Keith

I bought a Bolt a year ago and although my 2FFE were great the Bolt is much better...never had to worry about range. The only complaint I have about the Bolt is no map except via CarPlay.

I also have a TeslaX and Model3 reservation but that's another price range.

Not sure why OP thinks Tesla not ready for Prime Time...My X has close to 30k miles with only a single issue that was addressed quickly.
Nothing beats Tesla when it comes to long trips (superchargers everywhere) ...My Bolt has fast DC charging and it's nowhere near me and not free.

fbitz777 said:
I bought a Bolt a year ago and although my 2FFE were great the Bolt is much better...never had to worry about range. The only complaint I have about the Bolt is no map except via CarPlay.

I also have a TeslaX and Model3 reservation but that's another price range.

Not sure why OP thinks Tesla not ready for Prime Time...My X has close to 30k miles with only a single issue that was addressed quickly.
Nothing beats Tesla when it comes to long trips (superchargers everywhere) ...My Bolt has fast DC charging and it's nowhere near me and not free.

Yeah there are 3 fast chargers by me and they all are more expensive than gas would be! (granted they are so close I'd never use them anyway--just plugged into one once to see the Bolt fast charge.)

Back