Best portable generator?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaronrodg

I want to buy a portable generator that i can use for different purposes, can anybody tell me which generator should be best in this category?

There's no such thing as "best portable generator." What do you want to do with the generator? This will tell you what capacity generator you need. Is noise a part of your selection criteria? How often are you going to use it? If you don't plan to use it often you might look at something propane powered or diesel. Gasoline has a short shelf life and can plug up carburetors from lack of use. Diesel has a slightly longer shelf life and propane has a practically unlimited shelf life. If by best you mean expensive then one of the Honda inverter generators is going to be the most quiet, most expensive, and most likely stolen of not locked down. 99% of the generators on the market are made in China and of unknown quality.

All excellent points by Triangles.

I'll add - if you are thinking about charging an FFE or other electric car with the generator, you need to test it first. So many of them do not work for that purpose. It is almost impossible to predict if a generator will charge an electric car just from specs. There are so many issues to consider.

And to reinforce - noise, don't underestimate the noise factor. If you are going to use this for a long time, what could be acceptable noise for 10 minutes, is outrageously loud for hours. Quiet is very expensive. Loud is cheap. Power ratings are only part of the equation - you can get obscenely high powered generators at Costco for almost no money. Except they sound like a race car idling next to you. If you are going to have that generator far away from you, that's fine. If it is in a construction site, probably OK too. But if it will be used at home or around people, totally unacceptable.

I have 2200 watt portable generator by Honda. You can read more about it here. Very happy with my purchase, very versatile, i use it for camping, for a car and my boat. Quietest in it's category.

Hi, Honda EU2000i Generator is a good generator. The generator can handle two or more things at once, as long as the combined wattage needed is under the maximum output of 2000 watts. You can check different brands inverter review on inverterreview.com

Everything depends on the purpose you want to buy it, because the generators are different. Usually people are buying fuel generators, they are the most practical and comfortable to use. I know that there are 3.4kw generators for around $300, I guess it will be enough for work or for something else. I think that you should read more https://thetoolscout.com/best-dual-fuel-generator/. Here you can find detailed information about the generator you want and to find where yo buy it as well.

Back