How to set the delay charging?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hplbiking

I am sure this has been covered before, but I could not find any information.

I am aware that I can plug in when I get home around 5PM, however the charging can be set up to start at 12PM. This is important as I am changing to a TOU (time of use) rate soon. So I know it can, but not sure how to do that? I have looked at the MyFordMobile app and under My Car/Charge Settings settings I see that there is a Go time. This allows for me to set up when the car should be fully charged up. Can I not just set it to start at 12PM? Also what is a Value Charge Profile? The default is Charge now and when I try to change it, it says to use a PC portal.

I was able to find my answers from a PC at myfordmobile.com. I just was not patient enough with my google search.

yup, I thought the same thing. The 'GO Times' idea is not formulated for practical use. Actually, they seem like an antiquated gas car idea. (Have your car warm for you when you get in it!). I don't care about that, I just want to charge at a time I'm not going to be reamed from my electric company. They need to redesign this. Every EV owner wants to charge their car at the cheapest time and doesn't want to wake up at 2am to start their charger.

correction. I just figured out the 'value charging' option. You're right hplbiking, it's only available on the website. I still think they should have you set up a value charging option first, before you choose a 'GO Time'. Of course, since I'm running on 110v, it's running all night to charge anyway. Once I get the 220v charger, this will come into play. Speaking of which, anyone have information on a home 220v charger (how to get it, the rebates etc?). I know, wrong topic, but I thought I'd ask.

goatea said:
correction. I just figured out the 'value charging' option. You're right hplbiking, it's only available on the website. I still think they should have you set up a value charging option first, before you choose a 'GO Time'. Of course, since I'm running on 110v, it's running all night to charge anyway. Once I get the 220v charger, this will come into play. Speaking of which, anyone have information on a home 220v charger (how to get it, the rebates etc?). I know, wrong topic, but I thought I'd ask.
I got a lightly used one from eBay. Super high quality for super cheap. Here is one available from the same guy: http://www.ebay.com/itm/J1772-40-Amp-EV-charger-/200867481624?pt=Battery_Chargers&hash=item2ec4a28818 Note that the one I linked is a 16 ft cord. Longer ones are often needed (I got a 25 ft), so you may need to look for others from the same seller. Also note that you want a 40 amp unit, not 16, not 60.

Regards,
Neal

pilotgeek said:
goatea said:
I got a lightly used one from eBay. Super high quality for super cheap. Here is one available from the same guy: http://www.ebay.com/itm/J1772-40-Amp-EV-charger-/200867481624?pt=Battery_Chargers&hash=item2ec4a28818 Note that the one I linked is a 16 ft cord. Longer ones are often needed (I got a 25 ft), so you may need to look for others from the same seller. Also note that you want a 40 amp unit, not 16, not 60.

Regards,
Neal

THanks! I'll check it out. Do you know if it's better to have a 'time of use' meter or a regular meter. So much to learn...

Hi That is great, This is really helpful for me because i was also looking for this. And this will come into play. Speaking of which, anyone have information on a home 220v charger .
Regards

goatea said:
yup, I thought the same thing. The 'GO Times' idea is not formulated for practical use. Actually, they seem like an antiquated gas car idea. (Have your car warm for you when you get in it!). I don't care about that, I just want to charge at a time I'm not going to be reamed from my electric company. They need to redesign this. Every EV owner wants to charge their car at the cheapest time and doesn't want to wake up at 2am to start their charger.
You missed the point. ;) This isn't an antiquated idea at all. Warming the car at a "Go Time" doesn't refer to warming up the engine, it refers to warming (or cooling) the cabin.

For those who live in very hot or cold climates, this can make a lot of sense. Using a Go Time allow the climate system to prepare the cabin while the car is still connected to external power, avoiding a heavy drain on the battery, and thus maintaining the full vehicle range until just before it's time to "go".

Back