12 Volt Accessory battery not charging

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mstubbs007

We have had our new Focus electric for 4 days now and everything was fine until we started getting warning messages from the MyFord Mobile application saying that the 12 volt battery was not charged and to plug the car into the charger. After plugging the car in for most of the day and the charge level being over 76% we are still getting the warning message about the 12 volt battery being low.
Anyone else having this issue. Car has less than 110 miles on it. What a let down

Keep your chin up! Our cars provide a lot more feedback as to the state of the electronics than regular cars. Some of this additional feedback can result in extra anxiety.. There is a section in the owners manual around page 300 that details what to do if the 12 volt battery prevents the vehicle from starting/powering up (its even called "jump starting" still.) It could be that this vehicle sat for a while and the 12 volt battery needs to do some catching up! In any case, be sure to contact the service department and let them know the problem. If it were my car, I would probably throw my portable 12 volt emergency jump pack in the back and drive it for a few more miles to see if the 12 volt battery came back up to full charge.. Stay positive - this is an awesome car!

Dreaming-in-Focus said:
Keep your chin up! Our cars provide a lot more feedback as to the state of the electronics than regular cars. Some of this additional feedback can result in extra anxiety.. There is a section in the owners manual around page 300 that details what to do if the 12 volt battery prevents the vehicle from starting/powering up (its even called "jump starting" still.) It could be that this vehicle sat for a while and the 12 volt battery needs to do some catching up! In any case, be sure to contact the service department and let them know the problem. If it were my car, I would probably throw my portable 12 volt emergency jump pack in the back and drive it for a few more miles to see if the 12 volt battery came back up to full charge.. Stay positive - this is an awesome car!
We also noted that the display screen is stating that the battery power saver system is off what ever this means. Contacted Ford they didn't know what this warning was all about.

Took the vehicle to the dealer yesterday and just as we thought the 12 volt battery was defective. I also had a bad load of the computer software which they updated as well. Problems with starting and warnings of low accessory battery voltage where solved. Backup camera module was also found to be defective in the process and will be changed as soon as the part comes in.

My battery has died twice sitting in the garage waiting for it's HOV stickers. Apparently when the car Li-ion battery is fully charged, it stops charging the 12 volt accessory battery, so the battery goes dead. The only other way to charge the battery is to turn on the on-off switch. So, I installed a trickle charger, that has solved the problem for now. I don't know why Ford didn't design the 12 volt accessory battery to charge off the fully charged Li-Ion battery when it is low.

Back