gilmore950

Re: AT&T sunset and MyFordMobile app

Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:04 am

Hi all, I have a 2013 FFE and from what I've gathered so far on this helpful thread is that come Feb I'm basically going to be SOL for any use from the MyFord Mobile app. I got it used in 2017 and the 3G replacement has been done by my local dealership. Pretty sure it is using the old Sync system then.

My question if anyone knows is will I need to disable something in my car manually in order for it to not keep searching for updates from the cell tower which it will never find? I would think if I left it as is this would run down the 12v battery but I don't know for sure.

Been lurking on this board awhile now for tips and info.
Thanks if anyone knows for sure

Anti_Climax

Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:30 am

You shouldn't have to change anything.

BUT - it seems you should be able to buy the LTE modem if you want. I'm about to start the process for my 2012 and once I confirm it's worked I'll be sharing more details.
2012 Candy Blue FFE
33.5kWh battery pack
CHAdeMO DC Fast Charging

gilmore950

Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:03 am

Anti_Climax wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:30 am
You shouldn't have to change anything.

BUT - it seems you should be able to buy the LTE modem if you want. I'm about to start the process for my 2012 and once I confirm it's worked I'll be sharing more details.
Thank you. I spoke with the service advisor at my dealer back when I did my state inspection in Oct and he couldn't find anything.

alecvill

Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:33 pm

gilmore950 wrote:
Hi all, I have a 2013 FFE and from what I've gathered so far on this helpful thread is that come Feb I'm basically going to be SOL for any use from the MyFord Mobile app. I got it used in 2017 and the 3G replacement has been done by my local dealership. Pretty sure it is using the old Sync system then.

My question if anyone knows is will I need to disable something in my car manually in order for it to not keep searching for updates from the cell tower which it will never find? I would think if I left it as is this would run down the 12v battery but I don't know for sure.

Sorry, very new to all this and I'm not 100% on what has been done to upgrade my 2013 FFE. I currently use the MyFordMobile app to check charging status, tire pressure, etc., and received a notification from the app today that I was going to lose functionality. I never received a letter from Ford about this upgrade program, but in calling my dealer they said it fell outside the replacement program. Is that because my car was built with 2G capability? If I'm currently using the MyFordMobile app, does that mean that I received a 3G TCU upgrade at some point?

My dealer was confused and said they can't order the 4G TCU replacement for me because I'm not eligible for the upgrade. Was this an error on there part, or is there some workaround where I can get a dealer to order a 4G replacement and install it for me? I'm willing to pay a reasonable amount since I rely on the MyFordMobile app fairly heavily and would like to retain some functionality even if it means switching to FordPass. I see some mention of Sync, and am not even sure which Sync I have (2.0, 3.0, etc.), but will that affect functionality going forward, making the 4G upgrade moot?

I would appreciate any advice or recommendations anyone has on this.

alecvill

Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:02 pm

alecvill wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:33 pm
gilmore950 wrote:

Sorry, very new to all this and I'm not 100% on what has been done to upgrade my 2013 FFE. I currently use the MyFordMobile app to check charging status, tire pressure, etc., and received a notification from the app today that I was going to lose functionality. I never received a letter from Ford about this upgrade program, but in calling my dealer they said it fell outside the replacement program. Is that because my car was built with 2G capability? If I'm currently using the MyFordMobile app, does that mean that I received a 3G TCU upgrade at some point?

My dealer was confused and said they can't order the 4G TCU replacement for me because I'm not eligible for the upgrade. Was this an error on there part, or is there some workaround where I can get a dealer to order a 4G replacement and install it for me? I'm willing to pay a reasonable amount since I rely on the MyFordMobile app fairly heavily and would like to retain some functionality even if it means switching to FordPass. I see some mention of Sync, and am not even sure which Sync I have (2.0, 3.0, etc.), but will that affect functionality going forward, making the 4G upgrade moot?

I would appreciate any advice or recommendations anyone has on this.
I confirmed with my dealer that they could get the part to upgrade me to 4G and perform the install. My only remaining concern is whether this will work with FordPass, or whether MyFordMobile will continue to work. I currently have Sync 2 and wondering if I should pay for a Sync 3 upgrade too. I called Ford who said that 3G was being phased out but that the phone wireless connectivity would still work. When I asked how, they had no idea. I don't know what is going on there, so if anyone has some insight, that would be helpful.

triangles

Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:01 pm

AT&T is decommissioning their 3G network that our cars use. You should have gotten a notification in MFM that MFM will cease to function with the decommissioning of the 3G network. The 4G modems use the my ford pass app. From what I hear not all MFM functionality is available in the my ford pass app read thru earlier posts for details.

The only way to disable the modem is to pull the F1 fuse (bottom most toward the front of the car) in the rear hatch fuse block. You will also lose go times and value charge capability as this functionality relies on the the TCU which is the module that contains the modem.
2014 Blue Candy FFE
http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/focus/2014/triangles/303811 (since this forum doesn't allow BBcode in sigs)

Heima

Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:39 pm

I am hoping that within a short time, Ford realizes that the cost of the modem is a bit stiff, and the price comes down. I like the features that MFM provides, but I suspect that even though the Mach E, Etransit, and F-150 Lightning would benefit from the unique capabilities of MFM, it will be a while before FordPass has that functionality. Maybe then the modem price will be less. Dunno. Just sad to see MFM going away.

scottt
Site Moderator

Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:07 am

Heima wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:39 pm
I am hoping that within a short time, Ford realizes that the cost of the modem is a bit stiff, and the price comes down. I like the features that MFM provides, but I suspect that even though the Mach E, Etransit, and F-150 Lightning would benefit from the unique capabilities of MFM, it will be a while before FordPass has that functionality. Maybe then the modem price will be less. Dunno. Just sad to see MFM going away.
The program expires in March I think. So I'm not confident the price will come down.
2015 Magnetic FFE (aka Magneto) - Retired
2017 Kona Blue FFE (aka King Kona) - Current

a4bry4

Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:00 pm

It has been more than a month since the modem was updated in my '16 FFE and it still does not work. I have had an open case with Ford Pass for several weeks now with no resolution. So, even though I did not pay for the upgrade, I essentially ended the my ford mobile service two months earlier than it would have happened with the termination of the 3G service. I will update if and when I get a resolution.
2016 Blue Candy FFE

scottt
Site Moderator

Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:52 am

a4bry4 wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:00 pm
It has been more than a month since the modem was updated in my '16 FFE and it still does not work. I have had an open case with Ford Pass for several weeks now with no resolution. So, even though I did not pay for the upgrade, I essentially ended the my ford mobile service two months earlier than it would have happened with the termination of the 3G service. I will update if and when I get a resolution.
PLEASE tell us how you got the upgrade for free.
2015 Magnetic FFE (aka Magneto) - Retired
2017 Kona Blue FFE (aka King Kona) - Current

Return to “Technical Discussions”