2014 Ford Focus Electric Battery Question

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 6516

I have a 2014 Ford Focus Electric with 87k miles and I've been losing range pretty quickly.

Is it possible to bring it into a Ford dealership and have them upgrade the battery to the 33kwh one? If it is, does the 8-year/100k mile warranty cover the costs? If it doesn't, how much would it cost?

Thanks!

So I got a replacement battery for my 2012 Focus Electric about 2 years ago when my car would not run. After about 5 days at the dealer, they told me I was getting a new 33kwh battery....and it has been great ever since. The price on the invoice was $22k, of which I paid nothing; however, that's the ballpark you might be looking at. I do not know if there are alternatives, but this was the case about 3 or 4 years ago. My car has 65k miles and gets 109 miles on a charge...at least that's what the guess-o-meter says.

Replacing the battery with the larger capacity one does take some re-programming of the car. Not sure what, but it does.

And as for warrantee, I don't think reduced range counts, but you might ask.

Anyway, sorry I didn't have better news, but hopefully someone has something better to offer.

davideos said:
So I got a replacement battery for my 2012 Focus Electric about 2 years ago when my car would not run. After about 5 days at the dealer, they told me I was getting a new 33kwh battery....and it has been great ever since. The price on the invoice was $22k, of which I paid nothing; however, that's the ballpark you might be looking at. I do not know if there are alternatives, but this was the case about 3 or 4 years ago. My car has 65k miles and gets 109 miles on a charge...at least that's what the guess-o-meter says.

Replacing the battery with the larger capacity one does take some re-programming of the car. Not sure what, but it does.

And as for warrantee, I don't think reduced range counts, but you might ask.

Anyway, sorry I didn't have better news, but hopefully someone has something better to offer.

Thank you for your response. I just want to be able to upgrade before the battery warranty expires which is in about a year. Two days ago, the battery mile meter dropped from the high 60s to the high 50s when I just opened my door.

I’ll just use Ford’s live chat and ask about it. Thank you again!

Ford is not going to let you "upgrade" your battery under warranty. They installed the larger packs when they were unable to source the smaller ones. So it would work like this:

Is your battery failed in a way that warrants replacement, according to Ford's guidelines? If not, any replacement it upgrade would be out of pocket and full price. Capacity loss has to be significant to qualify on it's own, not sure if it's officially codified.

If they do consider it failed and will replace it under warranty, do they have the smaller pack available? If so, that is what you get. You can't "pay the difference" to upgrade (I tried this very thing before I ended up with the larger pack)

If they only have the larger one and they're replacing it under warranty, awesome. But that's the only way it can happen without you buying the whole thing yourself.

Also, what's the actual mileage you get from a charge? Not what the meter says, but real miles going from full to almost empty?

Back